Stability question

takwita

I plan on capsizing my newly purchased Capri 14.2 when the water warms up around here (Hingham MA) to get a feel for how hard one can push the limits.

In the interim, I would be pleased to read comments regarding the performance envelope, the ragged edge if you will of the Capri.

I have had her out on some 20+ days and could have towed a water skier. Just not sure when she lets go.

I've only raced the boat in 17-19 knots with my son and the boat was a handful to keep on its feet. We usually sail in lighter wind less then 11 knots, so the rig setting is super loose to get maximum point and speed. With the rig setting wrong for the wind, it made things worst as we were over powered from about 15 knots. To try to answer your question, I know one year during the midwinters regatta it was blowing 25+ with gusts over 30knots. The C14.2s that tried to race couldn't get up the course so they all retired. Another issue is making your sails into blown out bags as I think the sail makers didn't design the sails to be used at those winds above 16 knot. Look at the weight of the fabic. Lastly, make sure your standing rigging is in perfect shape just so you have a smaller chance of dropping the rig. In that kind of wind , I bet you'd have more grins on a sailboard or kite board. Hope some of this helps and good luck.

Back