Stability and Baby Bobs

Pete Z

I have owned a Omega 14 for several years now and have found you have to be constantly aware of this hulls stability. As an example: I was at anchor in about 2' of water and was sitting in the boat just aft of the mast. I moved in some way I don't remember and the boat rolled over. No harm done and I righted the boat.
Later as I read other stories about boats rolling over and even turtleing and the use of Baby Bobs I decided to install one on my boat. I found a good sized styrofoam float to provide flotation at the end of the mast. I hol lowed out a section to fit over the masthead piece and secured it with an aluminum strap I got from Home Depot. (see picture)
Baby Bob.jpg
lowed out a section to fit over the masthead piece and secured it with an aluminum strap I got from Home Depot. (see picture).
Not long after I got to test it. I had sailed out of a little inlet on the jib alone. When I was trying to raise the main, going forward to the mast, I must have shifted my weight wrong and over went the boat. The Baby Bob worked quite well and the boat was fairly easy to right.
Note that I usually sail alone and have not turned over when in the sailing position aft. The boat will heel quickly, but with constant attention to the main sheet and to rudder position I have never turned over even in gusting conditions.

Back