What's new

SPY HALYARD TOP OF MAST

fnietoelgazi

Does any one have a picture of how the halyards are suppose to be organized on the top of the mast.

I tried rearranging in my boat but cant figure it out. If i pass the spy halyard through the top holes i think the friction will end up breaking the line.

Here is a pic of what I'm talking about.

Thanks

1632091071420.png

VinceH

That's different from the original 1978 mast I had, and different from the 2005 new mast I had. By 2005, masts were made with one sheave below the headstay for the headsail, and one above the headstay for the spinnaker. I can't tell what's behind that fabricated stainless piece that's held by the headstay clevis pin. That's an odd fitting. I don't understand its purpose, and I've never seen one of those before. What do you see when you take it off? Are you sure it's needed?

Maybe show this to some riggers or show it on a more general-purpose sailing site.

fnietoelgazi

Thanks Vince for your answer! This boat was owned by a French sailor that did a world tour by his own and changed many things. So its probably something made later. There is nothing behind it, that's why i have the spy halyard next to the gib one underneath the headstay, but I'm getting friction on the gib halyard and in the hooks of the gyb.
Ill show it in a more general purpose thanks!

VinceH

Ok. It's a little unfortunate, it seems.

A spinnaker halyard always should exit above the headstay. Think about how it works...rotating from one side to the other when you gybe. Below the headstay it would chafe against the headstay or the jib halyard. Seems like a problem the way it is.

fnietoelgazi

Exactly that is why i climbed the mas to see what was happening. If you have any pictures from the original masts to see if maybe i can fix it it would be of much help.
Thanks

VinceH

I'm sorry, I don't. I have lots of pictures, but not that one. I sold my boat 2 weeks ago after 25 years.
Maybe contact mast builder Charleston Spar an see if they can send you a photo. That part (area) of the mast is the hounds.