Spring/Summer Sunfish/Sailfish Parts and Gear Sale

Thread starter #1
Sunfish and Sailfish Parts, Gear and Hardware for sale. Mostly used but some new, old stock. Vintage, pre-1972 hardware available. If you are restoring or upgrading a Sunfish or Sailfish and need hardware or hard to find parts, I have most of them at decent prices. Will ship smaller items. Masts, booms and edge trim are pick-up only in Cazenovia, NY due to prohibitive shipping costs. E-mail me at: aglos@colgate.edu with what you need and I will reply promptly with availability and prices.

Alan Glos
Cazenovia, NY

Last edited:

L&VW

Sunfish and Sailfish Parts, Gear and Hardware for sale. Mostly used but some new, old stock. Vintage, pre-1972 hardware available. If you are restoring or upgrading a Sunfish or Sailfish and need hardware or hard to find parts, I have most of them at decent prices. Will ship smaller items. Masts, booms and edge trim are pick-up only in Cazenovia, NY due to prohibitive shipping costs. E-mail me at: aglos@colgate.edu with what you need and I will reply promptly with availability and prices.

Alan Glos
Cazenovia, NY
Having just arrived at my central-Florida "repair station" of three Sunfish, I need that ~13" piece of aluminum trim. (We'd previously discussed "whatever fits into a big envelope"). Please select a section that has a rivet near one end. (I'll drill for the other end). I could also use an end-cap for a spar, if you sell those separately.

Thread starter #4
L&VW,

I can send you a 13" section of hull/deck trim for $8 + postage. I have shiny or dull finish - which do you need? I would throw in a plastic boom end cap for $5 more.
What is your full name and mailing address? You can e-mail me this information at: aglos@colgate.edu

Alan Glos
Cazenovia, NY

Thread starter #6
Roman Sailer,

Upgrading from the pre-1972 ("old style") rudder system to the post-1972 ("new style") rudder system is a common upgrade and relatively painless if you are reasonably handy. You need the following parts:

--4" or 6" deck inspection port to be installed on the aft deck under the tiller to give you access to the inside of the vertical transom
--Stainless steel exterior, "U" shaped rudder gudgeon bracket that bolts on to the exterior of the transom. Stainless steel round machine screws and lock nuts to attach this bracket.
--Aluminum interior back-up plate that fits on the inside wall of the transom to spread out the load of the exterior bracket
--Short (4") section of aluminum hull/deck trim to fill the gap left after removing the old bronze deck plate. This can be attached with 2 pop rivets like the rest of the edge trim.

I would sell you all of the above parts (used/reconditioned or New, Old Stock) for $35 + postage

To install you remove all the old bronze deck and keel hardware and plug the screw holes with tthe marine goop of your choice, install the inspection port centered about 2" forward of the transom, clean out the some of the old interior foam and wood back up plate under the deck, position the interior aluminum back-up plate centered in the inside of the transom, position the gudgeon bracket on the exterior of the transom snug under the hull/deck trim, drill holes through the fiberglass transom and back up plate using the existing holes in the gudgeon bracket as a template, and then bolt the bracket on using the s.s. machine screws and lock nuts. Finally install the short piece of edge trim to fill the gap. I have done about 7 or 8 of these retrofits, and each takes about an hour, 2 hours tops if it is your first rodeo.

Then you need to find a new style rudder/tiller assembly; I do not have one at this writing, but I have parts and gear colleagues who probably do. They can cost up to $300 depending on age and condition, but I have seen them go for far less if they need refinishing/

This is a worthwhile upgrade as the new style rudder is a huge improvement over the old rig and it will add value to your boat. E-mail me at: aglos@colgate.edu if you are interested.

Alan Glos
Cazenovia, NY