Splitting the deck from the hull

c14_kent

Can the deck be rmoved from the hull on an old Omega 14? Is it just glued under the rubrail? I would like to inspect the inside of the hull before proceding with the restoration.

Kent

Sounds like it would be a very big job and then you'd have to cut the centerboard box out to boot. You're a brave sole.

Sorry to hijack this thread, but...

Richard, is the centerboard box glued to the floor and the hull?

I have a leak and suspect the box where it joins the floor.

I can only speak to the Capri 14.2 as I 've not seen a Omega 14 up close. The hull of a 14.2 is molded with the centerboard box so the hull and cb box are a single part. The deck is molded sparately and bonded to the hull later. I suspect the Omega was built the same way. Hull leaks are tough. Seal anything that looks suspect, deck to hull joint, chips, cracks, screws holding hardware to the boat....

thanks for the reply. Actually I am talking about a C14.

What is the best material to use for sealing the deck to the hull/centerboard box?

I agree with RJ...separating deck and hull would be alot of work.
Leaks I have found and repaired on my Omega were centerboard seal screws on bottom (they go all the way through bottom of hull) ,deck fittings, hull drainplug fitting, and rubrail (mine had two sets of screw holes as if rubrail had been replaced and none of them were bedded down).

Back