Splicing tools

0dylan

Hello,

I've recently gotten interested in splicing. I've googled around, and found this article:
http://www.roostersailing.com/articles/Info_Sheet_Fidding.htm

I've tried a few times to splice some 4mm spectra and have been successful up to the bury. It just seems way too tight, and I don't have the right equipment. I tried a piece of coat hanger to feed it through but it kept getting caught.

I'm wondering what you guys use to splice your lines. I can't really order anything because I live in Hawaii and the shipping is outrageous. ($15 for a $7 fid?) I've checked WestMarine and they only carry kits that range in price from 70-100 bucks. Do you have any suggestions as to what homemade tool or otherwise I could use to make this job easier?

Thanks.

If you are talking about splicing the typical 12 strand single braid line, a coat hanger will work just fine. To stop it from catching, a little bit of tape on the free end (or a drip of hot glue) helps. When I use the coat hanger, I use the coat hanger to "pull" the end of the line thru the inner section of the body. As you pull the end thru the inner section, keep the body bunched up, until you have pulled the end to your mark - then milk the body back up towards the eye of the splice.

Sometimes a different set of instructions can help you visualize what is needed - try this one from Samson - http://www.samsonrope.com/site_files/12S_C2_EyeSpl.pdf

If you can make your way over to Honolulu, I can put you in touch with a couple folks who can walk you thru it.

Yeah, I had considered the coat hanger. I'm having a bit of trouble imagining how this is all going to come together.

So.......
When I'm ready to bury the tail, I get the coat hanger (which I suppose is cut up so that its a fairly long straight piece of metal bent in half to form a sharp U) and insert the bent edge (bottom part of the U) into the 12-strand from the point which I want the tail to exit once I've pulled it through. Then I attach the the tail to the bent edge via hot glue or tape, and pull it through?
Do you recommend a handle on the end of this, or do you think that would work out ok just pulling on the cut ends of the coat hanger?

Anyways, is that what you mean by all that? I think I'm gonna try that tonight if I have any extra time.

Thanks

Don't bend the coat hanger at all - just insert one end thru the body of the rope, tape the end of the rope to the end of the hanger and start pulling the other end of the coat hanger.

@49208 - yeah, I guess that would work. I'll try that tonight I assume I insert the coat hanger on the curved hook part of the coat hanger, since that seems like the only logical place.

@Looserlu - those videos were solid, I guess thats the way to go on the taper. it helped a lot.
[FONT=monospace, Courier]

I think I'm good to go.

thanks for the help
[/FONT]

Back