Splash Guard

James W.

Has anyone just taken the splash guard off and filled in the holes so you have
more room\comfort for someone to sit forward??

Thanks, James

The splash guard (coming) serves a structural purpose to help support the curvature for the deck. I'd recommend against removing it.

It can get cosy with 2 aboard. Especially on a light wind day when you want your weight forward.

Kevin.

I agree with Kevin, the splash guard is structural and supports the deck. Raise the the sail position for head room by lowering the halyard attachment point on the gaff and get a foam camping pad or square cushion type PFD to put over the splash guard.

Minas man

I had no idea it was structural, but if you ever sail anywhere where either gets windy or you have waves, you will find that it has a very important job in keeping the cockpit from getting filled up from water running over the deck.

Yes beldar boathead there have been times that the splash guard has kept the cockpit from filling up with water.
It is just not one structural element that keeps the deck camber correct and the deck solid but a combination of design features.
The cockpit tub, centerboard case, mast tube, foam blocks and splash guard are all critical elements to keep the hull stiff with no flexing. If any of these parts is compromised then there are structural ramifications to the rest of the hull.
I can understand if you are sailing waters with conditions that do not require a splash guard that you might be tempted to dispose of it but it is more than a splash guard.
I stated this in an other thread but I believe that the next design improvement for the Sunfish would be an extended forward cockpit tub, under the deck, on each side of the centerboard case and the benefits would be more storage a stronger hull that would not have to rely on foam for structural support and the ability to remove splash guard for two person recreational sailing.

Minas man

Just to be a contrarian, my hull hasn't had a splash guard since I purchased it and I don't really see a difference as far as structural support compared to my other hull. However, esthetically, a hull with a splash guard looks much better than one without.

I just replaced a damaged splashrail on a 1987 hull and the splashrail is indeed structural. Without it the deck "oil canned" - with the new unit in place, it was nice and stiff. Accordingly, I would not recommend removing the splashrail just to get better crew comfort.

Alan Glos
Cazenovia, NY

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll just put a cushy flotation seat up there. I also plan to have a tiller that is cut back a little so I can
sit farther back and have easier "helms alee" (with a fold-over tiller extension of course). I'll use this
special tiller when I have a crew, regular tiller when I don't. James

Back