splash board

gjg

I acquired an older sunfish for grandkids to sail and many of the screws attaching the splash board fell out allowing water into the hull. The screws are machine screws indicating that there were threads in the deck and/or blocking beneath that are now stripped. I am interested in the best approach to repair and ideas for drying out the hull. Thanks in advance to those who respond.

I acquired an older sunfish for grandkids to sail and many of the screws attaching the splash board fell out allowing water into the hull. The screws are machine screws indicating that there were threads in the deck and/or blocking beneath that are now stripped. I am interested in the best approach to repair and ideas for drying out the hull. Thanks in advance to those who respond.
Have you completely removed the splash deflector? If not, go ahead and remove the remaining screws and lift it off. This way you can use an existing screw to check the threads of the suspect inserts in the deck. (there is no blocking beneath the splash deflector so the deck inserts are all you'll need to worry about)

If the inserts are OK and the lost screws just worked loose, pop on down to the hardware store for some stainless steel replacement screws and a little silicone caulk to seal them with.

Should you confirm the inserts are stripped or pulling free from the deck, post a picture. There are a couple of alternitives you may want to consider.

Back