Media Spinnaker!

http://community.webshots.com/photo/380167698/447656404BzkhzG This is my brother's innovation, which he raced today in our club's "fun regatta" (which has a tradition of creative rule bending). He rigged an FJ spinnaker onto our old laser. It actually sailed well! He says to say that it was easy to set, to sail, and to gybe, but dousing was tricky. Unfortunately, the picture shows the boat at an odd angle, but it was the only one that my Dad had the chance to take.

The halyard was run through a block tied to the webbing strap at the top of the mast sleeve. The spin sheet & guy were run through blocks which he lashed onto the traveler leads. Then he ran those lines foreward, and cleated them in the main sheet cleats.

That was the one thing that he couldn't rig, unfortunately. He was busy enough as it was!

You would only be able to go dead downwind like that, but hey - it's a Laser 1. What can we do next? A gennaker from the bow eye?

how about an old piece of a top section rigged as a bow spirit, and use a smallish gennaker

you could also incorporate a shute sock along the deck to douse it automatically like the 29ers do

Or you could just buy a laser 2

that's the first thought that hit my mind as I was reading this, i just had to say it

that does look really cool though- find an old asymmetrical and attach it to the bow eye, that's all that it should need.

computeroman2 said:
Or you could just buy a laser 2

And what be the fun in that? These novelty races are all about doing something different. Remeber the photo of the Laser 2 that used a Laser 1 mainsail as a genoa? Ha ha, it makes for great photographs this stuff.

Laser 2 isn't really what he was looking for. He usually races 420s, but just wanted to do somthing different. Sailing it & posting the picture was just for laughs. And I don't think it would be a good idea for us to get any more boats!

Back