Spider Cracks

EmNapps

I have just purchaced a sunfish but there are spider cracks on it. can these go without being repaired if they need to be repaired how do you repair them

Depends on how bad they, where they are, etc. Do they cause leaks? Hull bottom or deck? If they are on the deck near where you sit and the deck flexes, then a repair should probably be made. If they are hairline and small and not near where you sit, you can probably leave them alone. Post photos of the cracks and perhaps a better answer can be given.

They may be caused by random gelcoat expansion and contraction, but if they are concentrated in one area and look kind of like a bullseye, there may be underlying damage from an impact. If it appears they are letting water into the inside of the boat, they'll need repair. If gelcoat is flaking off, repair.
By boom foot, did you mean where the mast goes in, aka mast step?

I see lots of spider cracks in older sunfish's that are just old hulls that have been recoated and the cheap paint is coming off...I would sand lightly and see if it is the original gel coat or a poorly painted boat....

Back