Special Edition Lasers

LuckyJack

Doing my usual thing and looking at the usual for sale boards I have noticed quite a few 'special addition' Lasers about. the Black Magic, Race '99, Ben Ainsle, Graffiti how many different special addition Lasers are there and are there specific sail number bands which they cover, are they different by Region?

Re: Special Addition Lasers

Lucky, hope you don't mind -- I've done a spelling correction in your thread title.

I don't know how many there are but I can add another 2 to your list:

Laser Timex (might have been a worlds one year maybe)
Laser Race 97

Not sure of any others. The best Laser I have seen was a Laser that had a gold hull. This was as supplied and had a mettalic gold finish under the clear gelcoat. I sold on Ebay about a year ago and looked amazing. It was around a 135,000 vintage.

In the US, they had a "Centennial Games" edition for the '96 Atlanta Olympics.

Not sure of any others. The best Laser I have seen was a Laser that had a gold hull. This was as supplied and had a mettalic gold finish under the clear gelcoat. I sold on Ebay about a year ago and looked amazing. It was around a 135,000 vintage.

Was that the "bassmaster" version, spackled gelcoat like on a fishing boat?

Its funny he mentions the graffiti one because someone told me that there were only 2 or 3 of them ever made and they were design prototypes for the Atlanta Games that were not selected as the final design (the flower one was, mentioned above).

If you found one of those that is a very special Laser, especially if it is in good condition

Theres a laser at a yacht club by me with the blue hull and these boxy flower looking pattern that hasnt sailed in probably a good 3-4 years. Its been in the same spot way for so long a bush is growing around it, the tires are flat and disinegrate if you touch them, the airtanks are full of bugs and the inside has some weird looking ants. It has a cover which is saving it from the snow and heat but its a shame. Everytime I race there i cant help to walk back there and just stare it for a few minutes.

Theres a laser at a yacht club by me with the blue hull and these boxy flower looking pattern that hasnt sailed in probably a good 3-4 years. Its been in the same spot way for so long a bush is growing around it, the tires are flat and disinegrate if you touch them, the airtanks are full of bugs and the inside has some weird looking ants. It has a cover which is saving it from the snow and heat but its a shame. Everytime I race there i cant help to walk back there and just stare it for a few minutes.

That's the '96 Atlanta Olympics edition. It also came in red.

Its funny he mentions the graffiti one because someone told me that there were only 2 or 3 of them ever made and they were design prototypes for the Atlanta Games that were not selected as the final design (the flower one was, mentioned above).

If you found one of those that is a very special Laser, especially if it is in good condition

Ive seen one of these for sail about 6 months ago in the UK, why a prototype and one of only a small handful made for the US Games would be in Britain................

I have noticed there is some sort of affiliation between Black Magic Lasers in the UK

Do special edtions hold there value/worth more than just standard lasers?

Infact just found this http://www.apolloduck.co.uk/display.phtml?aid=156445 Graffiti Edition In Somerset

Ive seen one of these for sail about 6 months ago in the UK, why a prototype and one of only a small handful made for the US Games would be in Britain................

I have noticed there is some sort of affiliation between Black Magic Lasers in the UK

Do special edtions hold there value/worth more than just standard lasers?

Infact just found this http://www.apolloduck.co.uk/display.phtml?aid=156445 Graffiti Edition In Somerset

Finally I have found what this model was. Thank you. It has annoyed me ever since I saw one when I was younger in Dubai half buried in the sand in a wooden box that looked like it was not owned by anyone. Now I think about it I wonder if the box was the original packaging!

- Laser Rosso
- Laser Savannah
- Also potentially another one called laser Camargue?
"Rosso" and "Bianco" were, if I remember it right, just the names for red- and white-coloured hulls built by PSE in the early 1990s.

"Savannah" sounds like one of the red or blue 1996 "Olympic" hulls by Sunfish Laser, already discussed above.

"Camargue" was a greyish color scheme, including an almost-black rudder head, sometime in the 1990s.

_

Found one more "Accent"

Ascent1.PNG
Ascent2.PNG

I think I have a Graffiti Laser. It is a 1995 and in excellent shape. Is it a special edition? Anyone have any info on it? Maybe a brochure or news release from Laser?

Either way I am interested in hearing about and seeing more special edition Lasers!

Attachments

• laser1.jpg
    laser1.jpg
    820.9 KB · Views: 244
  • laser2.jpg
    laser2.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 278
I think I have a Graffiti Laser. It is a 1995 and in excellent shape. Is it a special edition? Anyone have any info on it?
I believe yours was a standard Sunfish Laser colour in that year. They came in blue as well, and as I said in the other thread, they were used at the 1995 Youth Worlds in Bermuda - the girls sailed yellow boats and the guys blue ones.

_

Figured so. Lol. Do you have a picture of the Graffiti laser? I am interested in tracking down a special edition boat of some sort.

I think I have a Graffiti Laser. It is a 1995 and in excellent shape. Is it a special edition? Anyone have any info on it? Maybe a brochure or news release from Laser?

Either way I am interested in hearing about and seeing more special edition Lasers!

Please don't store or transport your boat on the trailer like that. The runners will create stress points on the hull. Best to store/transport it upside or on a support that is formed to the shape of the hull.

Thanks for the info. It will have to do for now. Not sure flipping it over on this trailer would help much.

Are we talking this will happen in 2 weeks or 20 years?

I don't trailer it anywhere but to the boat ramp in my yard. If I have a friend sailing as well, we usually carry our boats down to launch off of the bank next to my dock.

Do you have a picture of the Graffiti laser? I am interested in tracking down a special edition boat of some sort.
I don't, but you seem to have quite a few... that is, your boat IS a "Graffiti" model, it's just that I was under the (possibly wrong) impression that it wasn't intended as a "special edition".

_

I am not sure if that matches a Graffiti design Laser. From memory the single one I have seen clearly had Graffiti written somewhere on the hull. Yours is an edition I have not seen though! I like it!

It does look to be in good nick as well :). Thanks for posting.

Here is the Laser from the ISAF Worlds in Dubai 1998. Still a lot of these hulls floating around Dubai. Personally I love the graphics and am working on getting on old one!
Dubai Laser.jpg

You guys are in luck . Just so happen to find 2 specials at my sailing club. Other than the stickers....there isn't any other noticeable difference between them and the regular Lasers.
Bianco 2.jpg
Savannah 1.jpg
Savannah 2.jpg
Bianco 1.jpg

Just so happen to find 2 specials at my sailing club.
What are the numbers of those boats, and who built the "Savannah"?

The "Bianco" was, I believe (and it's of course hard to see in pictures like that) actually all-white as the name implies, instead of "dawn grey" which was the PSE default color at the time. The "Rosso" was the same + red topsides and transom.

_

The Savannah is numbered 158021.
Don't have the Bianco's number
If you want to find out more, take and post pictures of the stickers on the back wall of the cockpits, and possible embossed numbers or codes on the transom or under the bow fitting. The Bianco should be PSE-built with a number probably in the 145000-150000 range. The Savannah is a late 1995 boat, and obviously not built by Sunfish Laser like the red and blue "Centennial Olympics" boats. I am not aware of PSE offering them either, and as you're in Malaysia it's not far-fetched that it came from Australia or New Zealand.

_

Thank you Thomas Kong!

Is the Savannah logo in the cockpit the only logo on the Laser?

We are slowly building up a great collection of special edition Lasers on here. I love the Bianco one personally.

Still need to find a Graffiti one..
I found one last weekend at a local club that I rarely go to. And I have to admit I was wrong about the 1995ish Sunfish Laser -built boats being the "Graffiti" ones! This was a basic ("dawn") grey PSE boat with only the purple-and-blue text "Graffiti" on the topsides near the transom and next to the centreboard case making it "special" in any way. The number was 145xxx and the bottom was very soft. Didn't have a camera with me.

_

That hull has been repainted. The 96 Atlanta, (sailed in Savannah) Olympic hulls had great graphics on them.

Back