Special Edition Lasers

Thread starter #1
Doing my usual thing and looking at the usual for sale boards I have noticed quite a few 'special addition' Lasers about. the Black Magic, Race '99, Ben Ainsle, Graffiti how many different special addition Lasers are there and are there specific sail number bands which they cover, are they different by Region?

jeffers

I don't know how many there are but I can add another 2 to your list:

Laser Timex (might have been a worlds one year maybe)
Laser Race 97

Not sure of any others. The best Laser I have seen was a Laser that had a gold hull. This was as supplied and had a mettalic gold finish under the clear gelcoat. I sold on Ebay about a year ago and looked amazing. It was around a 135,000 vintage.

torrid

Just sailing
In the US, they had a "Centennial Games" edition for the '96 Atlanta Olympics.

Not sure of any others. The best Laser I have seen was a Laser that had a gold hull. This was as supplied and had a mettalic gold finish under the clear gelcoat. I sold on Ebay about a year ago and looked amazing. It was around a 135,000 vintage.
Was that the "bassmaster" version, spackled gelcoat like on a fishing boat?

Its funny he mentions the graffiti one because someone told me that there were only 2 or 3 of them ever made and they were design prototypes for the Atlanta Games that were not selected as the final design (the flower one was, mentioned above).

If you found one of those that is a very special Laser, especially if it is in good condition

Theres a laser at a yacht club by me with the blue hull and these boxy flower looking pattern that hasnt sailed in probably a good 3-4 years. Its been in the same spot way for so long a bush is growing around it, the tires are flat and disinegrate if you touch them, the airtanks are full of bugs and the inside has some weird looking ants. It has a cover which is saving it from the snow and heat but its a shame. Everytime I race there i cant help to walk back there and just stare it for a few minutes.

torrid

Just sailing
Theres a laser at a yacht club by me with the blue hull and these boxy flower looking pattern that hasnt sailed in probably a good 3-4 years. Its been in the same spot way for so long a bush is growing around it, the tires are flat and disinegrate if you touch them, the airtanks are full of bugs and the inside has some weird looking ants. It has a cover which is saving it from the snow and heat but its a shame. Everytime I race there i cant help to walk back there and just stare it for a few minutes.
That's the '96 Atlanta Olympics edition. It also came in red.

Thread starter #8
Its funny he mentions the graffiti one because someone told me that there were only 2 or 3 of them ever made and they were design prototypes for the Atlanta Games that were not selected as the final design (the flower one was, mentioned above).

If you found one of those that is a very special Laser, especially if it is in good condition
Ive seen one of these for sail about 6 months ago in the UK, why a prototype and one of only a small handful made for the US Games would be in Britain................

I have noticed there is some sort of affiliation between Black Magic Lasers in the UK

Do special edtions hold there value/worth more than just standard lasers?

Infact just found this http://www.apolloduck.co.uk/display.phtml?aid=156445 Graffiti Edition In Somerset

Ive seen one of these for sail about 6 months ago in the UK, why a prototype and one of only a small handful made for the US Games would be in Britain................

I have noticed there is some sort of affiliation between Black Magic Lasers in the UK

Do special edtions hold there value/worth more than just standard lasers?

Infact just found this http://www.apolloduck.co.uk/display.phtml?aid=156445 Graffiti Edition In Somerset
Finally I have found what this model was. Thank you. It has annoyed me ever since I saw one when I was younger in Dubai half buried in the sand in a wooden box that looked like it was not owned by anyone. Now I think about it I wonder if the box was the original packaging!