spare parts

daveturn

I have had my Capri 14.2 Mod 1 a little over a month, and the previous owner suggested that I keep some basic tools and spare parts aboard. Do any of you have suggestions as to what I should bring along "just in case?" Thanks.

Dave

P.S. This forum has been very helpful in getting to know my boat. You folks are loaded with great info!

A few rigging pins and ring-dings, duct tape, roll of electrical tape, a couple lengths of line. Vise grips, rigging knife or multitool. Slot screwdriver and a Philips head.

I have sailed my boat for almost two years now and keep nothing aboard the boat. I do keep the sort of things "Fan" talked about in the trunk of my car, but so far have not needed anything.

The real question

Perhaps, Dave, you should rephrase the question: what is the one thing you wished you had brought sailing but didn't ... and no, I don't mean a beer!

I'm a newbie to sailing, but have kayaked for years; the one thing? a whistle.

A knife, a bit of extra line, a paddle, and a cellphone should solve most of your problems. To me, on a daysailer, you only need enough to get back to shore where you can fix what is broken.

Oh c'mon this is simple! a freaking paddle... My electric motor has crapped out.. and I have had winds that (just would not die) die on me.... PADDLE!

Then after that rigging tape (who the heck said electrical tape, SHAME ON YOU!)..... Rigging tape.. HUGE difference people. It actually ages and wears better then electrical tape, even if the electrical is white!

Spare LINE.. duh... You never know when you are gonna raft up, anchor, tie to a tree (yep did that too)..., or tie to a dock (pee breaks)...

Tools? MARLIN spike! Look it up.. is PERFECT for untying knots. Knife should come with the marlin spike.

Extra bungees... should always have extra bungees... They are to tie down sails (jib included) in a pinch... get ones without the sharp hook ends.. the barrel connector types (cork?).... are perfect.

Extra life jackets, and tossable cushions... they are great rear end cushions in the cockpit, and they double as swim toys when you are beached.

I think those are the essentials.

Did I mention a compressed air horn?

Essentials

A paddle is must, I have to leave the launch under power until I get out of the channel and can raise the sails on the lake. I purchased my used Capri with a new 2hp motor. First time I took my girlfriend out on the boat, the engine died 15' from the dock. Needless to say, I was embarrassed and had to jump overboard to keep the boat off the rocks as the waves pushed us ashore.

A whistle. I have one of the flat orange signalling whistles attached to everyones PFD. It came in handy once when a power boat came barralling across my bow. Judging by the kids about pointing, the parents must have wanted to give them a better view. Where the skipper had his head when he gave me no options but his wake, I'll not say...

Bungees.... yes, after installing the topping lift for my last jaunt on the lake this year, it became clear that I'll need to invest in no-snagging bungees to secure the sail. Going out was great, but when we were returning to the docks, the wind across the beam caught the flaked sails and my crew had a heck of a time re-flaking and holding them...

Live and learn and attempt to anticipate is all I can do. Some things, the sailing 1 class just didn't cover. Next year, with a little more experience, I hope to get more out of the sailing 2 class offered.

Oh c'mon this is simple! a freaking paddle... My electric motor has crapped out.. and I have had winds that (just would not die) die on me.... PADDLE!

Then after that rigging tape (who the heck said electrical tape, SHAME ON YOU!)..... Rigging tape.. HUGE difference people. It actually ages and wears better then electrical tape, even if the electrical is white!

Spare LINE.. duh... You never know when you are gonna raft up, anchor, tie to a tree (yep did that too)..., or tie to a dock (pee breaks)...

Tools? MARLIN spike! Look it up.. is PERFECT for untying knots. Knife should come with the marlin spike.

Extra bungees... should always have extra bungees... They are to tie down sails (jib included) in a pinch... get ones without the sharp hook ends.. the barrel connector types (cork?).... are perfect.

Extra life jackets, and tossable cushions... they are great rear end cushions in the cockpit, and they double as swim toys when you are beached.

I think those are the essentials.

Did I mention a compressed air horn?

Shame on me? Don't be so disrespectful and insulting to other posters. Not everyone can get rigging tape so easy or is willing to part with the extra dollars. The op in this thread asked for what to have on board and I gave him a legit answer when no one else had yet. Usually, supplies kept on board are for a "fix" to keep sailing not a permanent solution, so there you go.

Sorry Fan, I have been following your posts... I submit you didn't catch the sarcasm in my post... I figured by now you'd know my sarcastic wit. My bad.

No offense meant, or implied...

Been guilty of the electrical tape too... White is preferred, but in a pinch I've used orange, and good ole black..

But for the $12 for rigging tape, it is REALLY worth the money... It also keeps damaged spreader boots from snagging expensive to replace sails. Oh and I bought rigging tape because the darned electrical kept coming off my spreaders, and boots. It didn't stretch and stay stuck as well in the exposed sunlight as I thought it would.

Oh and split rings... don't forget the split rings. Nickel ones preferred (but FAN will appreciate, you can use keyring ones in pinch, but don't leave them on, they rust - ASK ME HOW I KNOW?).

Back