Spar storage while trailering

JohnnyVan

I know this has been discussed before but I was wondering if there is a consensus of which is the better (safer) way to transport spars, mast and sail.
Should I set up my trailer to carry the spars in a storage bag up against the trailer bunks or is it better to just go ahead and carry them on the top of the hull with some homemade cradles? If it makes a difference, I will be generally hauling the boat about hour and a half drive at highway speed.

Thank you for your input.
Regards,
JV

I carry the whole caboodle (spars and sail) in a sail bag on top, and use a rope to tie it down. The starting point for the rope is at the bow; it goes around the bag (several times), through the hole in the halyard cleat, through the block and back to the halyard cleat where it is tied off.
In addition, I use a short rope to secure the rear end of the bag to one of the bridle cleats.
I have had no problems long distance trailering, but it does make sense to stop once in a while to see if all is OK with the trailer etc.

This might also be a good time to mention how important it is to put the sail in a sail/spar bag before trailering a Sunfish. If sails flap around at 60 mph highway speed, they will rip and fray at an alarming rate. Buying or making a good heavy duty sail/spar bag is a very good investment.

Alan Glos
Cazenovia, NY

Back