Spar stifness - England

Capt Tony

Back during the 2002 Worlds in Hyannis it seemed everyone showed up with spas from England and they stood out because they were black. Ive not seen them much since 02. DOes anyone know if these mast and boom sections are stiffer than what we see in the States, and where they can be purchased?

Thanks to you both. Since it looks like you are both D10 I assume you both went to Collie. BTW are they still black? Tony

i always sailed european (UK) spars and bended and broke a few. Now i sail an australian who already lasts much longer. At a regatta in Workum
(Netherlands) a lot of mast broke or bended, the aussie top sections didn't make a move. although, hard to get them in and out the uk bottom section.

i always sailed european (UK) spars and bended and broke a few. Now i sail an australian who already lasts much longer. At a regatta in Workum
(Netherlands) a lot of mast broke or bended, the aussie top sections didn't make a move. although, hard to get them in and out the uk bottom section.
I agree to you. It is also the experience here at GER. So, friends of the south side of this globe, if you want to make some € extra to pay your ticket for the plane to Spain to join the Masters, why not take some upper sections extra at the air freight area of the plane. I've heard over 60 Laserites come from AUS/NZL to race at Roses/Spain ;)

Also, it is a hearsay, here at the area I sail at, the sleeve for the upper mast section that is made at AUS, is the best. They connect the two mast sections very tight. This is a "must" for a perfect mast for racing. This Aussie sleeves are not availlabe here at Europe and every racing Laserite, that has one of those, is really happy to have one.

To compare more scientific how stiff an upper spar for the Laser is, here is a link to a description I made, to measure the stiffness. The upper mast section I tested there, is made under license of PS Europe. There are other ways to measure the stiffness more easy and quick, but they are not so exact.
Kindly you may add your measurement results, please, to get more details here of the different behaviors of the upper spars of the different continents.

http://www.laserforum.org/showpost.php?p=7258&postcount=18

Thanks

LooserLu

I heard that there is no longer such a thing as an Aussie spar. The extrusion die needed replacing and as its only used for the laser spars, the manufacturer wanted a lot of money to justify replacing it. The Aust laser licensee apparently couldn't justify this and so spars are now imported from Europe. All just rumours of course and I doubt our Aust licensee will post anything here to confirm or refute this.

Back