Spar finsh

macwas16

On a few of my older 70's boats the spars are a bit coarroded from salt and scratches and such. Does anybody know some effective ways to reduce this so I can have a nicer, smoother, finish. I'm thinking of maybe wet sanding them and then possibly puting some sort of spray-on lubricant/coating. Is there any place I can get a spray-on coating made just for spars? Any suggestions??

Hello Mac,
Might see if you could find out about having them "re"-anodized after sanding. I would check with some metal dealers or a plating shop in your area... But it would probably be cheaper to replace them, then do that.
Other thought is to try some Muther's Aluminium polish after wet sanding... You could get them really shiny ;) and blind the competition. Good luck Mac!
Fishing Mickey
150068/150087

Sanding the whole spar may not be the best unless you are prepared to spend a lot of $$ either getting them re-anodized or painted, or a lot of time keeping them polished. I sailed on a big boat where to save weight, they did not get the mast andodized, but it had to be polished every 2 months - the owner finally had it sprayed with clear Awlgrip after a couple of seasons.

For painting you can go with powder coat, which is very durable, or Awlgrip/Imron etc.

If you don't have a lot of nicks and gouges, recoat them with clear nail polish - a couple of coats does the job.

Back