Spar Cradle

signal charlie

Staff member
Does anyone have good ideas about transport for the spars? We went simple with pool noodles, especially back when we could find the curly ones, and used the halyard/sheet for tiedowns. Might want some type of carpeted cradle though.

We also have gaff taped pool noodles to bunks for a softer ride. Outbound for the 1136 mile picker trip for ZIP....

Double trailer.jpg

ZIP and NEPTUNE picked at Niagara Sailing Club, Grand Island NY.

Double trailer loaded.jpg

I do a couple of pool noodle pieces on the deck and lay the spars from front to back on those. I use ratchet straps - not too tight! - to hold the boat on the trailer, including a wrap around the spar bundle to hold them in place.

I do a couple of pool noodle pieces on the deck and lay the spars from front to back on those. I use ratchet straps - not too tight! - to hold the boat on the trailer, including a wrap around the spar bundle to hold them in place.
I was doing the same thing, but trailering quite a bit warped my spars. I'm going to a local hitch place here this summer to consult with them about how to engineer something on our small Dilly trailer to hold the mast and spars for long trips on the interstate.

my old setup, copied from a previous owner:
build a "field goal" or Y-shaped holder out of wood, and slide it down into the daggerboard trunk. a 2nd "field goal" can be attached to the trailer near the bow support. this pic is my old setup to carry two Sunfish type boats at a time - but if you look closely, you can see the wooden "field goals" at the front and aft locations.

I had a few eyescrews attached to the wooden parts that I would use bungees to strap the sail tight to the wooden brackets.

1652810158304.png

I've seen similar little bracket/spar holders built of out PVC with foam feet that just sit on the Sunfish deck, but keep the spars (or spar bag) contained and off the deck surface while trailering.

my new A-frame trailer setup is detailed here: Transporting Sunfish mast

I like that setup Tag. When I bought my Banshee, it came with a trailer. I can't take both boats with my aluminum SUT, but with a setup like that, I could put the Sunfish and the Banshee on the new trailer and get both to the water. Very cool!

Back