Southern New Hampshire'rs

It seems like a significant number of active users are in/near southern NH

Anyone interested in going to Massabesic for a very informal race/see my boat day when it's warmer?

geesh. Forget about "live free or die".

Maybe Kingston? Anyone know of other place or are willing to share their 10 feet of private lake ownership?

Is member "baseman" a Sunfish sailor?

For me, it'd be a one-hour drive to Massabesic—maybe two hours to more-southern NH lakes.

"You can't get there from here". :oops:

But we did have a three-boat "regatta" on Lake Winnipesaukee last Summer—and three races. We each won one race in "light-and-variable winds". Lake Winnipesaukee is in Central NH. One "easy" boat launching site is just a mile from "the start". :cool:

I'd look forward to hosting informal races from my private location on Lake Winnipesaukee. :)

That'd be awesome. I havent been to Winnie much, but when I have the winds haven't been very light. I have to find a place to practice on my boat. The sunfish are small and I've only been on the merrimack with them....not even a small lake.

I've been on the ocean with bigger boats in Boston through their program...but those are 10x the size of sunfish.

Are there good southern nh lakes to try my sunfish on before I take the winni plunge?

You could try Glen Lake in Goffstown. I lived in Manch. 30 years ago, and Glen Lake is where I learned to windsurf. There is (or was, back in 1982) a small dirt lot perfect for launching. Being a small lake, the wind is shifty. There is also a dam not that far from the launching spot, but if I could learn to windsurf without going over the dam, you should have no trouble with a Sunfish!! If I were you I'd drive by and have a look.

I don't have a Sunfish, I have a Phantom and no, you can't sail on Massabesic. I live in Goffstown and Glen Lake can get a lot of power boat traffic on weekends. The Lightnig Fleet at Bow Lake (Northwood, Stratford) runs races in the summer. Sometimes I'm the only Sunfish type boat out there and no one cares if you're class legal. We would love to have anyone in NH join us. I could use some competition. The small boats usually do a half course (windward back to start). It's a fun group often ending the races at the Commodore's house with snacks and adult beverages. There is no charge to enter the races. If you want more infomation, send me a message and I can get you on the mailing list.

Nice! I'm glad to hear of a place to go. Is Glen lake state owned? I'd love to practice...and my "skipper" is my dog...I hate having to leave her at home all day. I'll pm you with my email...or maybe you'll see me out there once the weather returns to...well not almost snowing. (they're saying it's going to snow tomorrow!!!!):eek:

Glen Lake is town owned with resticted parking. If you trailer your boat, you can park in the tralier spots (not very many of them). If you car top your boat, and you are not a resident of Goffstown, there is no place to park. Bow lake is much larger, good launch ramp and free parking.

Good thing Seashoresunshine bought the trailer, but I am sorry to hear that is the only way non-Goffstown residents can park there without a trailer. I had a great deal of fun windsurfing there back in the day. Guess that option no longer exists for non-Goffstowners!

The town passed that ordinance last year. Residents were complaining about the amount of trash left behind. I guess it worked becuase hardly anyone goes to the beach. The boat ramp has been rebuilt and it's really easy to put a boat in.
If anyone wants to meet me there when the water warms us a bit, let me know. The lake is less than 5 min from my house.
I'd still like to see some of you get involved in the Bow Lake races.

What's with the chat ads for Ukraine women at the bottom of the page?

Dunno whats up with the ads. I am eager to get out on my sunfish...wish it would warm up. Its beautiful out but only in the 30's.

I'm up for some very informal racing. I learned on a sunfish but spend a good deal of my time last summer on a capri 14.2 The community boat house also had some mercuries which I hated with a passion.

It's probably a hike for you, but the Massapoag Yacht Club in Sharon, MA runs really friendly informal Sunfish racing on Sunday afternoons from June-September, and we're always looking for more people. Non-club members are welcome.

The town passed that ordinance last year. Residents were complaining about the amount of trash left behind. I guess it worked becuase hardly anyone goes to the beach. The boat ramp has been rebuilt and it's really easy to put a boat in.
If anyone wants to meet me there when the water warms us a bit, let me know. The lake is less than 5 min from my house.
I'd still like to see some of you get involved in the Bow Lake races.

What's with the chat ads for Ukraine women at the bottom of the page?
The ads change. Shortly after reading your comment, I read that Ukraine women are sought for children through "surrogate-motherhood". All this could have started upon the election of Ukraine's Prime Minister Julia Timochenko. (!) :) The article was about US lawyers getting duped in the process.:rolleyes:

-----------------------------------------

The Lake Winnipesaukee storm that tore my sail—and snapped my mast—was a freak windstorm that came out of a "confused sky". I should have immediately secured my sail when whitecaps could be seen a mile away. In several decades of sailing there, and always being aware of severe weather reports—nothing like that had ever happened before.

Weather "happens" :confused:, but at my particular location—surrounded by nearby residences—it's difficult to get into serious trouble. :cool: I look forward to a "NH Meet-up" here, sometime between July through September. :)

I'm for a meet up at Winnepesaukee. I've never sailed there. What part of the lake do you sail and where's the nearest launch site?

Winnipesaukee-Map[1].jpg

On the map, look to the eastern corner of the lake. Directly above the airport icon, you'll see a star representing "Libby's Museum". The ramp is directly across the street. Trailer parking is limited there, but ample space is available at my location.

The protected harbor itself is about ½-mile by 2-miles in size.

The lake is especially low this season, so you might want to finish an assembly of your Sunfish near the ramp's shallows. A course can be set up regardless of strong winds, or lack of wind. The waters there have no surprises—and along the shorelines, wading is friendly. Many accommodations are within a short walk of the ramp, if some sailors want to "make a week of it".

http://www.new-england-vacations-guide.com/images/Winnipesaukee-Map.jpg

thanks guys! I will have to get the boat in the water soon...the hitch is being installed tomorrow but I'm having trouble with the electrical instalation....yay saab...

The Bow Lake race schedule has been put together (but I haven't seen it yet). If anyone wants a copy, send me a PM with your email and I will get it to you. BowLake would be a shorter trip for Seashore than Glen Lake.

I have the Bow Lake schedule if anyone is interested. The races start in July. There are 8 races open to all classes and there is a banquet at the end of the season.

Here are the dates for the Bow Lake races. Anyone with a sailboat is welcome. The races start at noon in the middle of the lake.
July 7,14,22,29
August 4,12,19,26
If you don't want to bring a boat, but are interested in crewing on a Lightning, there is usually someone looking for crew.
Here is a link to a map of the lake. The boat ramp is on the east end of the lake.
http://www.wildlife.state.nh.us/Fishing/bathy_maps/bow_strafford.pdf

Back