Soon to be mine?

Yes, all the chewed up and crusty Sunfish should be left for us, what if everyone decided to repair them, what would we do for entertainment.

Insert Jedi Mind Trick here."These are not the crusty Sunfish you are looking for, Move along."

Time spent repairing boats is not deducted from our time on Earth.

IMG_5867 2.jpg

I agree with Beldar- I’ve repaired and sold more than a dozen Sunfish. Never have I used gelcoat. Everything I’ve learned was from the wealth of information on this site and the yahoo forum. I have very few tools- only power tools are a jigsaw, a dremel and an orbital sander. Even an overweight boat can be dried out, and the boat the OP posted already has the inspection ports, so just add a fan and some off-season time (though the major stress cracks mentioned are a red flag)
I’d pay a lot less for a heavy boat, but wouldn’t automatically rule it out.
A Sawz-All costs $19 at Harbor Freight. You'll need a blade for it, but when demolition of a Sunfish is unavoidable, :( it'll speed up the process.

For a fan, look up "muffin fan". You only need one, they're less than $10, efficient, stay in place, and run 24/7 at very low cost--using house current.

A Sawz-All costs $19 at Harbor Freight. You'll need a blade for it, but when demolition of a Sunfish is unavoidable, :( it'll speed up the process.

For a fan, look up "muffin fan". You only need one, they're less than $10, efficient, stay in place, and run 24/7 at very low cost--using house current.
Well, OK, I’ve got both of those, and I forgot, I have a power drill, too... But I rarely use the Sawzall!

All my trailers get black Rustoleim for touch ups. I once painted a Catalina 22 waterline with a rattle can....maybe 30 yrs ago. But having gelcote supplies, it's hard for me to use paint (unless it's Awlgrip or the cheaper Brightside), as the final finish is far superior in durability and you can't buff Rustoleim to a high shine like you can gelcote. My metal patio furniture gets Rustoleim too! :)
That said....those that prefer sailing over maintenance and typically drag their boats a lot, the can paint is an option, but at that point why even paint is my theory...Formula 27 is white, Marinetex is close to white and West System can easily be tinted pure white. That's good enough imo for a scratched boat bottom or the sailor that isn't entering beauty contests.

Back