Media somewhat gusty day

sorry about these double thread posts... i keep getting an error when i click submit thread saying server not found, so i click back and submit again, and then there's a double. (if the server isn't found , then how is it posting? :p)

markhamlin said:
sorry about these double thread posts... i keep getting an error when i click submit thread saying server not found, so i click back and submit again, and then there's a double. (if the server isn't found , then how is it posting? :p)

This happens to me sometimes, too. I check to make sure that it isn't actually posted, because as you've learned, it often really is.

Looks like you could've taken in a lot more outhaul (The water was relatively flat, so you could get away with it an inch or two off the boom), and a little more vang.

120lbs

Wouldn't more outhaul mean more sail power? I'm already overpowered using a full rig. Most of the pics are taken in-between gusts, so I'm leaning in, so don't get the idea that I can't hike at all (even though i'm not the best hiker :p)

Any chance to get your hands on a radial rig ? I think you'll find it easier to handle and more fun and prob end up learning a lot faster.

49208 said:
Any chance to get your hands on a radial rig ? I think you'll find it easier to handle and more fun and prob end up learning a lot faster.
Yeah, just haven't gotten around to it yet.

markhamlin said:
120lbs

Wouldn't more outhaul mean more sail power? I'm already overpowered using a full rig. Most of the pics are taken in-between gusts, so I'm leaning in, so don't get the idea that I can't hike at all (even though i'm not the best hiker :p)

Sorry, I should've been clearer. pull in on the outhaul, to bring the sail closer to the boom. General rule of thumb is make a hang-ten sign and the sail should be that far off the boom at its deepest point, unless you're overpowered, in which case you should bring it to about an inch off of the boom.

I would definitely get a radial rig if you're that light. I think that makes you... 60 or 70 pounds under the standard rig optimum weight. :)

computeroman2 said:
Sorry, I should've been clearer. pull in on the outhaul, to bring the sail closer to the boom. General rule of thumb is make a hang-ten sign and the sail should be that far off the boom at its deepest point, unless you're overpowered, in which case you should bring it to about an inch off of the boom.

I would definitely get a radial rig if you're that light. I think that makes you... 60 or 70 pounds under the standard rig optimum weight. :)
I think I should get one of those newer outhaul systems with the pulleys. Mine just doesn't pull in , it just goes through the fairlead on the boom and up. No pulley.

1. Get a radial rig unlesss you want more of the same, and/or

2. Depower your sail! How about some vang, outhaul, cunny? It's pretty clear that w/o any vang when you ease the main, the sail is powering up bigtime making it all worse. Cunningham will take draft forward easing the pressure on helm and open the leech. Outhaul will depower the lower half. You need to do it all until you can sail flat, or see item 1. In any case, you're too light for the full rig, but if that's what you have so need to operate the sail controls to the maximum effect.

I already have it all as tight as possible. It's hard to tighten the outhaul because there's so much friction from it going through the boom fairlead. Plus The vang is as tight as I can get it. I'm still working on getting a Radial.

If you haven't already, you should look at Dick Tilman's book for some ways to increase the purchase on your outhaul/vang

It also describes ways to get the vang on tight using the old, nasty 3:1 deal.

Personally, I spent the $200 for the new 15:1 vang because I wanted to race. Incidentally, that is what I paid for the whole rest of the boat :)

similar here : 460 :p I'm going to ask for a new outhaul system (blocks and stuff, so i can actually adjust it), and possily a new vang. on westcoast's site, I saw an upgrade kit for both of those. quite expensive as you said :p

Where where thos pics taker? It looks like Westport WA? am I right? I recently went to a hobiecat race there (didnt race but i was there none the less)

santa cruz harbor.

on another note, i discovered my outhaul problem. I do tighten the outhaul before i launch, but today i noticed it lets itself out, the cam cleat on teh boom doesn't have sharp teeth... gotta fix that.

Liked your photos a lot. Thanks for sharing.Man-oh-man do i have a lot to learn about laser sailing.I'm pretty sure my sail doesnt look as twisted as yours. Also my sail is nearly always touching the boom. I couldnt do the hang-ten between sail and boom. (I had to ask an American colleague what hang-ten was by the way)

markhamlin said:
santa cruz harbor.

on another note, i discovered my outhaul problem. I do tighten the outhaul before i launch, but today i noticed it lets itself out, the cam cleat on teh boom doesn't have sharp teeth... gotta fix that.
A good new cleat may be the answer but don't overdo it - make sure you can adjust the outhaul if conditions change and you want more belly downwind. In a blow you really don't have many choices in a Laser - set it once and leave it there. Some embarrassing moments have been had by all of us when you get back to the dock (in breezy conditions) and you can't get your outhaul off or the vang. The dock is that last place you want to capsize in a breeze, ripped sails and deflated egos soon to follow.

Back