Something is sliding back and forth in my mast when It is tilted

masts used to have a cork plug in each end. if it has dried out and is no longer a snug fit, that might be what is sliding around inside the mast.

masts used to have a cork plug in each end. if it has dried out and is no longer a snug fit, that might be what is sliding around inside the mast.
Thanks!!! For the info.
Guess I should soon take those end caps off my mast and get them out while I can.
I think this boat was laid up for a long time. Since I’ve begun sailing it they’ll probably get stuck wherever they are when they “rehydrate” :eek:

Natural corks are still sold in hardware stores. There's no penalty in replacing the original corks, and could even "save the day". :)

The end caps are under no particular stress, so when re-attaching them, most members here would agree: use aluminum pop-rivets, not stainless steel.

You can see the cork plug on the left mast.

img0175_101.jpg

I thought the cork plugs prevented the mast from filling with water, which would help keep you from turtling when you go over.
I stuck racquetballs in my mast to replace the cork dust.
Me too, I thought this too, but I am a greenhorn...
Good tight fit on the racquetballs?

Ideally, the mast and spars should be water tight. The air inside will counteract, but NOT totally protect (!) a Sunfish from turtling.
And yes, helium has been proposed as a substitute for air, but it is not class legal... :)

Back