Some fiberglass work

Saltybones

I recently boat a boat that was in awesome shape except this...
sunfish004.jpg

I thought no big deal, I can replace it. There are plenty of people that have splash rails hanging around in their garages...But, that's not what I did. I made a mold of that part from another boat, then fiberglassed, sanded, fiberglassed sanded....sanded, sanded, painted.

And finally it looks like new
IMG_3888.jpg

Thanks fbjru for posting that photo sequence. I once used Marine-Tex (an epoxy with filler) to fix a virtually identical problem area. But your approach is nicer as it's not easy to get the original shape back with the method I used.

I have similar problem. Did you replace the entire spash rail with the new molded version or did you just add in the molded section to the broken end.

BrainCorrel

I just made a mold of that end from another boat. I put the mold under the broken end and then laid fiberglass on top. Then it was just a lot of work to lay fiberglass and sand.

So, to answer your question, I only used the mold to fix the broken end. The rest of it is original.

Faultlessly perfect work. Congratulations. You should post pictures of your work as you do it, to show people how it is done.

Love the red stripe too!

How about a few more pictures of the whole boat?

Back