Solo Moving Trailer to Dolly

IrishAyes

I solo sail in fresh and salt water and as a new Sunfish sailor I am looking for ways to move the fish from my kayak road trailer to a dolly.
I am presently using a Roll-a-Boat Tote which works well for what it is intended to do, but not so well for launching or retrieval from concrete or gravel ramps which I must use.
Will a home built PVC cart of some design work?? Almost seems like I need to buy a galvanized "float on/off trailer" ??

This is the Roll-a-Boat Tote:

Microsoft Edge 12242015 83943 AM.bmp.jpg

It is installed and removed with the Sunfish tipped on edge. You could modify the Roll-a-Boat Tote so it is installed at the rudder fittings with the Sunfish still sitting on the kayak road trailer. (Although it would make the boat harder to move). Can't you roll the Sunfish off the kayak trailer in shallow water? In a shallow water launch, it seems like a rubber- or vinyl- mat (with ribs) would solve the scratch/cosmetic damage problem.

... Solved the problem ... just purchased a used unwanted SeaDoo jet ski trailer off Craig's List which will allow me to "float" the boat off and on. The trailer is galvanized, has working lights, no rust, six foot adjustable bunk boards and I paid $200 for it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Some years ago with another Sunfish I had a transporter that fit on to the gudgeon. It was called "Little Launcher". I checked on line but could not find any reference to it. Anyhow picture 1 shows it attached to the rear of my Sunfish. Some years earlier I had made my own transporter for a different Sunfish. I don't have any pictures of it so I have sketched a representation in picture 2. They both worked well for short distances but became rather burdensome quickly.
P1010168.JPG
Sunfish Transporter.jpg
Sunfish Transporter.jpg

Why couldn't you float the Sunfish off the kayak road trailer?
It's a custom built non-galvanized painted trailer I paid $900 for several years ago. Really hate to give it "salt-baths" in the salt/brackish water we mostly have here. The trailer would have a short life even if I sprayed it off with fresh water after each launch.

I just recently made my own little transporter much like the one above. I got a scrap piece of 3/8" plywood and various parts from Home Depot and Ace Hardware.
The wheels were $9.48 each, the u-bolts $.95, the 1//2" axle rod $5.77, the 3/8" rod (goes though the rudder bracket) $4.97, washers $.80, and hitch pins 1.20 plus tax for a total of $ 35.62.
The wheels are suitable for hard surfaces. If you want to move over sand you would need larger wheels which will cost more. The finished product is shown in the attached picture.

Pete Z
P1010441.JPG

Wow ... A good "Fix" for the problem ! Looks a good copy of your original 'Little Launcher' and at the cost of a couple tanks of gas for the auto .... it would be hard to go wrong with it.

Thanks for your follow-up. ChuckO

Thanks for the info, Mike. I just looked at it on-line ... the original cost less than they now want on EBay ...... and that included Free Shipping ...... Hmmm. must be going up in price because it's now considered to be an Antique !!! Heh, Heh ! ! ChuckO

FYI: Found an ebay listing for the "little Launcher". It was a little pricey and has since been withdrawn from ebay.......but does have some pictures. Sunfish Sailboat Dolly "Little Launcher" Rudder Dollies Wheels Daggerboard Mike
The pictures are gone; however, an interesting "dolly" appeared at Northern Tool. While not directly useable for Sunfish transport, it has 10" tires that appear wider than most. Modifications (bunks) would be required for Sunfish transport, but could be used for other applications as well.

Northern Industrial Panel Dolly — 600Lb. Capacity | Panel Carts| Northern Tool + Equipment

Complaints regarding the dolly involve the poor devices used to hold the wheels on. Some buyers drilled holes in the axles and used cotter pins instead. (I'd grind a "flat" to start a drill bit easier).

Back