solo launching the 14.2 with mast lowered

JPS

Gals and Guys,

1st off, hello to everyone here and thank you for all the insights you provide. I have been reading your posts and gained tons of knowledge.

Wanted to know if anyone here is launching the 14.2 solo with a trailer using a boat ramp (mast lowered) and how the best practice for each individual looks like.
I need to rig the boat and launch with the mast lowered to get under some bridges (trolling motor) - then raise when on the water (yes, shaky but doable).

Cheers,
JP

Jacksonville, FL

Glad to have a new member. :)
I am interested in hearing from anyone that has actually done it. But, I will comment, despite my lack of experience. Even on the trailer, these recommendations make it easier to step the mast single-handed.

I have two recommendations:
1. Pre-step the mast. Use a tall crutch in the stern.
2. Rig the jib halyard to hold the mast up while you scooch out to rig the forestay. Have it attached to the forestay shackle at launch and cleat it once the mast is up. (You may need a longer halyard and to nix the purchase system that some 14.2s have. It isn't needed, as far as I can tell.)

Cheers, Karl

Thanks for the feedback Karl,

Agree, tall crutch at stern definitely needed since extend of the mast at aft is quit a bit. Definitely would dip water backing up down the ramp.

JP

Will you be steering with the trolling motor until the mast is up, then installing the rudder once rigged?

FreeRide's description is exactly how I raise the mast solo at the ramp, minus the crutch (not needed on solid ground). And I must say sometimes it's a real pain to get the forestay pin aligned and attached while standing next to the boat pulling it tight, so I can only imagine how difficult it may be if the boat were in the water. More than once I've lost one of those tiny pins or rings and ended my day of sailing without even getting the boat wet.

Losing the forestay pin is probably the biggest obstacle. Consider using a ball lock fast release pin if on is available in a small enough diameter. That could let you quickly attach and then you could replace it with a fixed pin and cotter ring once stable if you don't trust it.

Yep no worries stepping the mast on terra firma but I have to wonder how the rocking motion plays out when doing this on the water. With it's beautifully shaped hull Capri does tend to rock. And it is a good idea to tension the mast by using the main halyard to set the forestay pin. Initial step just raise mast and get the pin in the easiest hole. Step #2 pull the mast to desired tension using the main halyard secured to the front hole in the bow plate. Step #3 re-insert the pin for proper tension. And I built a nice crutch out of 2x4's which also is useful for trailering, I like that better than just resting the mast on the transom. And the crutch does help a lot when raising the mast alone, especially because I have a Baby Bob which adds a bit of weight.
Cheers!

PS forgot to mention the solution to losing a critical piece of hardware. Keep a little baggie on board with lots of spares for everything!

Back