So many covers!

Jibe_Andrew

Oh wise laser sailors,

I recently bought a used Laser (1984), and will be storing it in the garage for the winter. (Plan on racing it next season.)

I don't want to break the bank on a deck cover.

Any suggestions/links on "most bang for the buck?"

I saw an intensity one for 50, and an SLO cover for 100. I don't mind spending more, but I need to know why.

Thank you

From what I've seen, the Intensity cover is pretty thin. The website says it is made from Tyvek and calls is a "regatta cover". I think the intent is to have something light and cheap you can throw over the boat for a night or two when at a regatta.

You definitely wouldn't want to trailer with it, and it probably won't last ten years. However, if you need an inexpensive solution for one or two seasons, it should work.

edit - Now that I think about it, the purpose of Tyvek is it's a vapor-proof barrier. I you are going to let a boat sit outside in the weather, you probably want a material that breathes. It may not be good for long-term storage, just overnight.

i agree with the Intensity cover review. that $50 one is just an overniter. if you want to store it and race it next year, go with a hull cover. they stand up to being trailered to various race venues and being outside. investigate all the manufacturers and any deals, but do not be surprised to pay a minimum of $125 - 150 for a decent one. it is a good investment and will protect your hull. should probably get a spar bag while you're at it.
just my $.02 opinion.

I think the Intensity cover is a good option for its advertised purpose - a cheap, light cover for overnight that will keep your gear dry. For long-term storage, look for something else.

Main concern is blowing off while trailering, and trapping moisture next to the boat.

If you're using it on a truly dry boat indoors to keep dust off, this ought to be perfect.

But a non-breathable cover can trap any moisture in the boat inside and can cause the gelcoat to blister, which is not covered by warranty.

Don't cover a damp boat with a non-breathable cover!

I have the next step up intensity deck cover. I bought it right when it came out on the market because it was all i could afford.

Now, I have some nice colie stuff for my race boat. However, the Intensity stuff is still on my practice boat and I have had no issues with it at all. Good cover.... GREAT price.

i have recently bought a rooster breathable top cover, i bought it online over their site as i am in the channel islands and it is near to impossible to get anything for your laser over the counter,It goes on really quickly with two quick release clips, dry's your boat out and it isn't that expensive at only £70. rooster even managed to take £16!! off my postage and it even came the day after i bought it :)

Back