Snap!

nutzuns

Had a great weekend's sailing here in the UK at our local club pond in strong winds but it cost me! Managed to snap a radial mast just below the kicker (on a run) on Saturday and then another one, at the join, after an invert on Sunday, also ripping the sail in the process. Two masts and one sail in two days - can anyone beat that?:eek:

For the break under the kicker (vang), did it happen after or as you were gybing?
This could be because the top of your mast is twisting with the sail, while the bottom is pressed against the mast step so hard it doesnt twist as fast. This makes it snap right at the deck, which is pretty close to the vang.

Last year at my club, we had the top of the sleeve tear off of three radial sails and one snapped mast in three days.

I'd already jibed but it happened when I let out the sheet. Its one of the earlier radial rigs (black lower section), came with the boat and I think it is about 1986, so it may have been stressed/fractured over the years. The fracture occured just under the kicker and went through the rivet points for the kicker bracket - so that must have been the weak spot.

Shame I stuck this post into the wrong section, would have been interesting to hear of other's experiences.

Here's a pic of the damage:

Attachments

• P1010603.jpg
    P1010603.jpg
    137.9 KB · Views: 70
I did that once, it's caused by corrosion around the rivet holes. Not much you can do about it if the spar is old.

Salvage your fittings, buy a bare bottom section and make a new one using monel rivets and a jointing compund like "duralac".

Back