Snagged a Minifish the other day and want to install a new hiking strap?

lowercase_life

Hey all! I am new to the forum. I have had my eye on a minifish on Craigslist which I finally purchased yesterday. I have no idea what year it is because I can’t find any type of identifying numbers on it, but the hull is yellow (not sure if it’s the original color or has been restored). Everything is in great shape on it, no cracking in the gel coat and everything is solid. Only thing wrong is it was missing the cleat next to the mast which I picked up at west marine for $2. It has had a pulley and cam cleat put it to replace the little eye hook of the original minifish. I picked it up for $300. It was very dirty. Did I get a good deal? (Added some before and after cleaning pics, haven’t flipped it over yet to take pics but will add some when I do).

My main question is that I want to change the design of the hiking strap. I am traditionally a laser sailor but this boat seemed too perfect to turn down. However the hiking strap is placed the opposite way as in a laser, which confuses me a lot, and I would like to turn it lengthwise. Has anyone done this? What worked for you?

Attachments

• 6E7F162C-6CCD-4ECE-8C4C-81B8236267A6.jpeg
    6E7F162C-6CCD-4ECE-8C4C-81B8236267A6.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 39
  • F3AE6017-7AA2-42A5-830D-BEB51699D6CA.jpeg
    F3AE6017-7AA2-42A5-830D-BEB51699D6CA.jpeg
    675.5 KB · Views: 48
If the boat is complete, and, if your weight is under...um...um...200 pounds, @$300, you got a very good deal!

The problem is The Minifish is narrower than the laser so a strap down the middle maybe too close to the deck edge you are hiking from. If you still want to go that route all you need is a couple of inspection ports to thru bolt the hiking strap plates.

Cool boat - great deal! If you happen to live in New England you ought to check with the woman who just posted she has a Super Sunfish rig. It would fit the Minifish and really speed it up. Still a 65 sq ft sail but it has more horsepower.

the hiking strap is placed the opposite way as in a laser, which confuses me a lot, and I would like to turn it lengthwise.
Take it from a Lightning sailor: athwartships hiking straps aren't all bad :D Good things: you can hike farther inboard and outboard without adjusting the strap, it gets less in the way when crossing the boat, and the hiking position is naturally good straight-legged. The one bad thing is, obviously, restricted fore-and-aft movement.

Try it first before changing it. My technique in the Lightning is to put the aft foot first under the strap (so it crosses at the ankle) and then "lock" the position with the forward foot under the aft foot (ankles crossing; the aft foot is between the strap and the forward foot). If you need to get your weight farther aft (like on a heavy-air reach), you can hike in a "normal" (though more forward-facing) position with both feet going under the strap from behind.

Get your boat on the water and see what happens.

_

You'll have to get an opinion from a different Porpoise owner, as I couldn't use this Porpoise hiking strap. Sun and age had tightened the non-adjustable strap into uselessness.

The arrow points to the lateral hiking strap of a 70's Porpoise (A Sunfish clone).

Try this arrangement?

Attachments

• P6070019-001.JPG
    P6070019-001.JPG
    637.5 KB · Views: 51

Back