Small Lake Sailing

jcorliss78

http://wikimapia.org/8213818/Lake-Neatahwanta

Can anyone advise if this small lake is sailable? There is a dirt ramp style launch, without a dock, plenty of parking. my concern is that the lake is surrounded by woods, and the winds may be irratic. Also, close to shore (I don't plan on sailing to close) is only approx 4' deep, so I have concerns for bottoming out the CB. Normally, I sail on Oneida Lake, NY. However winds are generally east-west and is positioned in such a way that the end I sail on gets rather choppy. No launches on the eastern end of the lake, just marinas...

Thanks in advance for the feedback.

John C

Lake sailing.

What size is the lake? You have a more extensive descrition

I sail a 3/4 mile 125' wide canal surrounded by homes. I have also sailed the Intracoastal waterway in Hollywood, FL. The wind is blanketed in some spots by clusters of tall trees but i am able to sail through the spots. Anything is saleable given the desire to do so.

I was not able to go under bridges in ICw due to a 3.75 mph current under bridges. My 55# thrust Minn Kota was too slow to get across in a reasonable amout of time. Electric power is not as great as most people lead us to believe..

Wow! I just realized this is a really old post.

The 14.2 only needs 3.6 feet to float in with the board fully down, and only needs .6 inches with the board fully up. It has a kickup centerboard and rudder, both will kick up if they hit bottom. I know this from getting a little to close myself. Just be careful not to over tighten the wing nut on the rudder, it needs to be able to kickup.

Doable

Saw your depth contour map. Way larger than the canals I sail. It is easily doable but you need to row out to the deeper edge. Wear a life preserver and do not cleat the main on your first two outings. At least until you get an idea where the gusts come from.

Best
SF

Back