Small Boats Magazine Review for the Sunfish

signal charlie

Staff member
In other news, we have been commissioned to write a boat review on the Sunfish for Small Boats Magazine, they are finally ready for an article on the World's Beast Boat. What's your favorite thing about the Sunfish?

Mine? Simplicity.

Post a pic too if you want.

3878673B-C4A7-4BCC-96C2-EEC25D5FDF00.jpeg

+ Setup time short.
+ If a storm comes up, you can beach it, tip against the wind, and use as a temporary shelter.
+ 50 years after introduction, ALL parts are available--including hulls and multicolor sails.
+ Class races can be called-up just about anywhere--especially in USA.
+ Enthusiasts include Dennis Connor, Sir Paul McCartney.
+ Many active internet sites for information and tips. Learn fiberglass repair!
+ Available (used) in wood.
+ Need one this weekend? Go to Craigslist!

Last edited:
For me it’s the history of the Sunfish and my best memories of summer camp, 1970’s. Races before lunch (though it doesn’t look like we’re racing on this particular day ;) ) breakfast or fishing on the docks as kids with boats lapping at their moorings, the thrill of a strong breeze and responsiveness of the little boat. What else in my life these days makes me say “WOOO HOOO!!” ??
My dog and a good steady breeze to bend in my Sunfish!

Attachments

• F7578817-5B29-4B61-9F97-005303F38110.jpeg
    F7578817-5B29-4B61-9F97-005303F38110.jpeg
    813.3 KB · Views: 73
  • CA06F23F-22A6-4763-ACDA-7D28C233ED9E.jpeg
    CA06F23F-22A6-4763-ACDA-7D28C233ED9E.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 67
  • 4E8EE8C1-4947-471F-BACF-9D06D4B71979.jpeg
    4E8EE8C1-4947-471F-BACF-9D06D4B71979.jpeg
    798.5 KB · Views: 72
  • 0301EE15-C158-4CCF-B188-EA2F96315E34.jpeg
    0301EE15-C158-4CCF-B188-EA2F96315E34.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 76
  • 0CFFBE1C-C8FB-4C14-8864-41CB47FC2202.jpeg
    0CFFBE1C-C8FB-4C14-8864-41CB47FC2202.jpeg
    79.4 KB · Views: 68
For me it’s the history of the Sunfish and my best memories of summer camp, 1970’s. Races before lunch (though it doesn’t look like we’re racing on this particular day ;) ) breakfast or fishing on the docks as kids with boats lapping at their moorings, the thrill of a strong breeze and responsiveness of the little boat. What else in my life these days makes me say “WOOO HOOO!!” ??
My dog and a good steady breeze to bend in my Sunfish!
Great pictures!

It's a bit diferent for me because I live somewhere where the sunfish is rare and exotic. Parts are hard to get hold of and most people have never heard of the boat. So in a way it is quite an inconvenient boat to have. But I love how much personality the sunfish has. Much more character than most modern boats. It's quick to rig, easy to sail, can be a real blast in strong winds. Most importantly, there is somewhere to put your sandwiches :^)

In other news, we have been commissioned to write a boat review on the Sunfish for Small Boats Magazine, they are finally ready for an article on the World's Beast Boat. What's your favorite thing about the Sunfish?

Mine? Simplicity.

Post a pic too if you want.

View attachment 53240
I believe the Sunfish will endure forever thanks to its affordability. Since there are thousands of boats out there, the price of a used Sunfish is reasonable. Sure, new boatrs are $4-5K but there are many older boats available for $100-$500. This affordability will always be with us since fiberglas lasts forever (almost).

First of all, Signal Charlie, I'm presuming you mean you're writing an article on the World's Best Boat. Having raced for many years in other one-design classes, I think you hit the nail on the head with "simplicity." And, thanks to evolutionary design changes, the Sunfish provides a rugged & simple sailboat for everyone from world-class racers to first-time sailors. You (also) meet the nicest people on a Sunfish!

Cheers,
AQBill

Attachments

• drifting.jpg
    drifting.jpg
    117.7 KB · Views: 77
  • 33B66AAF-E48F-42E5-9A8B-6D2256D66A63.jpeg
    33B66AAF-E48F-42E5-9A8B-6D2256D66A63.jpeg
    212.8 KB · Views: 59
  • D8E91E2E-0A81-4320-8E78-4ECA478C8AC8.jpeg
    D8E91E2E-0A81-4320-8E78-4ECA478C8AC8.jpeg
    53.2 KB · Views: 74
Although the great (?) majority of people sailing a Sunfish probably do not race, to me the International Sunfish Class Association (ISCA) is a big plus. The Class is active and has good leadership. It provides a framework for local, national and international Sunfish racing. Significantly, the Class tries to maintain (one-design) standards so that the skill of the racer is paramount, not the amount of tinkering or money spent.

Beast Boat...I meant Best, but Beast works well too. Sunfish have kept how many dock and fiberglass repair trades in business since 1960?

Sunfish repairs are generally small, beginner stuff...so an inexpensive boat to learn how to get fiberglass all over yourself.
But simplicity getting ready to go from couch to water, is without a huge attraction. 1/2 day sails or shorter aren't out of the question for the.busy capt.

Lee Montes did a great video about the money cost of a boat, and it is pretty much zero, as the boats keep their resale value. And if we add a little elbow grease, there might be some profit to be made to buy another boat, new sail, add racing or cruising gear etc.

As for fun, there's a lot of smiles per miles on a Sunfish. Here's Capn Jack and Skipper's first Bucket List cruise on Chesapeake Bay off of Hampton VA in 2009. We had a beachfront place rented and the week before the trip we bought the boat for $650 up by Richmond VA. Flew into town, rented a Suburban, 4 of us went and picked up the boat and cartopped it back to the beach. UHaul was the alternate plan but everyone wanted to go on the picking adventure. As mixmkr said, short sails were the norm, a time or two each day.

Jack and Audrey.JPG

The little pirate Skipper assembled more crew for MINI PEARL, future DIL.

Audrey Kaitlynn Sunfish.jpg

N
Sunfish repairs are generally small, beginner stuff...so an inexpensive boat to learn how to get fiberglass all over yourself.
But simplicity getting ready to go from couch to water, is without a huge attraction. 1/2 day sails or shorter aren't out of the question for the.busy capt.
"Wet" resin can be removed from the skin without chemicals. I use sawdust--and in the Southern States, Spanish Moss.

I'm getting out of the "refurbishing old Sunfish" business, but there's money to be made...Amazing how many people have perfectly good Florida examples that can be bought for $100!

I "adopted" one as my regular-use Sunfish by only removing fresh masking tape. :)

"Wet" resin can be removed from the skin without chemicals. I use sawdust--and in the Southern States, Spanish Moss.

Lee Montes did a great video about the money cost of a boat, and it is pretty much zero, as the boats keep their resale value.
I think that should be clarified to mean "used" boats....with maybe a couple decades of age on them. Boats are like cars...once left the dealership, value drops quickly and generally are very poor investments.
Now the 1980 Sunfish find for $500...fixed up "showroom" can make a couple bucks....or retain value as after 40 yrs old, the depreciation has already occurred.
A $4800 price of a new fish certainly wont hold long and will only be helped with a past winning track record or debuted in a special event, etc
If you think about it...$300 for a boat and trailer...its hard to get much cheaper...unless the owner wants it "gone" and its your freebie of the day. Then in sail able condition...whats it worth...$300-1000...."depending??"
Then figure the math... .30 hours to make $500? (Remember that gallon of West System or Total Boat you bought too!)

Last edited:
That said...the investment to get on the water; give memories to kids that last forever...is just nill. As an adult, I dont squirm to buy a new glass daggerboard. Thats $2500 cheaper than a new racing mylar jib on a 38 footer!

Then figure the math... .30 hours to make $500? (Remember that gallon of West System or Total Boat you bought too!)
I'm retired, so my time isn't worth much; besides, the "work" is outdoors--at waist level--in the warm sun. :)

That gallon of West Systems epoxy I bought for $60 was to repair my [weather-changing] Tornado hull, which had cracked like an egg 15 years ago. More has leaked out from the can's rusty bottom than I've used in Sunfish repairs! Now in glass containers, there's equal parts remaining--catalyst and epoxy. :confused:

The eye doctor who bought my $100 maroon '71 Sunfish interrupted the only work I did on it--which involved 45¢ of gelcoat polish, which I wasn't allowed to finish!

He sent pictures of his young boys swarming all over it in the water. (Which was very gratifying to me). I pocketed $600! (Also gratifying ;) )

Speaking of jibs...

First of all, Signal Charlie, I'm presuming you mean you're writing an article on the World's Best Boat. Having raced for many years in other one-design classes, I think you hit the nail on the head with "simplicity."
Cheers,
AQBill
A recent clone just sailed by with a solo skipper. I think the sail reads "RS Zest" :oops: I like what I see on the internet, but haven't checked the price. :rolleyes:

It's got a jib, which is kind of cool to play with, but intimidating to a beginner (sometimes confounding when "backed"). A replacement Zest jib would likely cost more than your next used Sunfish!

1. Relatively inexpensive and parts are usually easy to source (used or new, via online, FB market, craigslist, etc)
2. Boat can be super simple: one hand on the tiller, other hand on the mainsheet and off you go sailing. So a decent boat for learning to sail.
3. Boat can also be optimized for hard core racers: racing sail, FRP daggerboard/rudders, outhaul control, cunningham control, Jens halyard, adjustable gooseneck, etc - all various extras and extra controls that are available (but not necessary) to improve boat speed.
4. But probably my favorite thing personally about sailing my Sunfish is giving rides to younger kids - my sons, my nieces/nephews, or any kid on the beach that looks up with interest and is willing to throw on a life jacket and give it a chance. It introduces them to a sport and hobby that they might otherwise never really consider and they love gliding across the water on the Sunfish.

I have been thinking about what to respond with for a while. I think my conclusion is that the Sunfish is just an amazingly versatile boat. It is perfect for learning to sail, great for kids, great for adults, and a very popular international racing class. They are also, as mentioned before, very enduring, with the 70th anniversary of the boat coming in 2023. I am a Sunfish racer, and pretty much sail them either racing or practicing. I hope you touch on racing in your writeup, and talk about how versatile the boat is as a racer. Both smaller and large regattas routinely draw a very diverse group of skippers - young, older, and old, and a great mix of men and women. The North Americans this past summer had 28% female skippers, and after the first heavy-air day of racing a woman was in the lead. The only other boat I can think of with this level of variety in the sailors is the Lightning. The Sunfish has allowed a lot of people to start racing it in their teens, and still be competitively racing it into their 60s and even 70s. It really is an incredible boat, despite its simplicity, or perhaps because of it.

Back