Slow going

scap114

Sitting here, listening to the rain on the porch roof, looking at the Sunfish still sitting on the trailer. Brought it up to the bay on Monday and have not got it in the water yet. Tuesday was whitecaps and rain, not a good day as water temp is still cold (high 50's, low 60's?). Not ready for a cold bath yet. Rain every day since. Took Harken rachett block off when I put boat away last fall-thought it was here at the RV-but can't find it-must be home (2 1/2 hours away). Wonder what kind of sailing summer this wil be. Hope others are having better conditions to get sailing. Mid June and not in the water yet.

I feel your pain! We had conditions like that here in Savannah for about 20 days in a row. The last few weeks of May and early June were just miserable. It rained and stormed every day. There wasn't a single day that would have been good for sailing. It has finally cleared out now but the temperatures have skyrocketed. All weekend we are expecting triple digit highs with nearly triple digit humidity! Its a great day to do a lot of capsizing. :D

Good luck clearing out the rain!

Found the Harken rachett block- at home- where I am now- boat is 100 miles away at Little Sodus on Lake Ontario. Today was hazy, hot and humid, just the right sailing day, and I was here mowing the lawn.

Finally got everything together and launched the boat at the state park yesterday and sailed it down to the RV. It was nice being in the water again. Took a few reaches across the bay- not a lot of wind, but steady. Felt nice. Boat seems to be in OK shape for its age- a 60's Alcort. Only thing I noticed is that my PFD seems to have shrunk over the winter. Not sure how that happened, as we 'space bagged" it, dry, at the end of last season. Today it rained, but maybe tomorrow will bring fair weather and winds.

Jist got in from a few hours on the bay-first day we did not have whitecaps and major wind-maybe in an earlier year the conditions earlier this week would have tempted me out-but today was nice-just a few powerboats to keep an eye on-spent the last few days sanding and putting varnish on the daggerboard-rudder and tiller next-but that can wait if the weather holds and the winds are fair :)

Not much wind today and with a storm forcast for this afternoon looks like another 'no sail day". What keeps coming back to me was that Sunday was an ideal day to sail and I did not take advantage of it. Keep asking my self why not? The wind was steady and almost to white cap stage, but not overpowering. Lots of boats out (not many Sunfish, but there are not many on the Bay). Think I will have to ponder why I have lost the drive to get out and sail. The enjoyment is there when I am out, but the push to go out is not. Wonder if it has anything to do with the fact that I can sail anytime (retirement is great) so there is no urgent need to get out, like when I was on vacation and had a set number to days to 'use'. Well, something to think about.

Made a vow that I would try to get out sailing today. The morning broke with light and fluky winds, mostly out of the south west. By noon the wind had shifted to a steady breeze out of the north. After a quick lunch I grabed my PFD and centerboard and headed down to the water's edge. Slid the boat off the skid ( and noiced that the water level had dropped about 4 inches since I had put the boat on the skid), untied the sail and pointed the nose of the boat to the west. Up went the sail, dropped in the centerboard and headed out. The breeze was steady and producing a nice chop. Headed up towards FHB State Park, about 1/2 mile from our RV park. It felt god tacking into the wind. After reaching the park I headed down the bay on broad reaches pasing the RV Park before heading back up the bay. It was a great day to be out. On several close reaches the bow would hit a wave and spray would come up spraying me and the sail. What a great feeling. Not many sailboats were out today, but lots of power boats. Did see one couple in a red O'Day DS sail by. They were on starboard, I on a port tack. As we passed by we waved In all, spent about 4 hours out today, again wondering why I don't sail more ofter,

After wasting a lot of July by not getting on the water, the last week has been great. Had to keep an eye to the sky, as a lot of thunder storms moving over the state. The storms did bring some good, as with the wind from the south it is easier to get off the shore between the boat lifts for the power boats. The weekend does put a lot of powerboaters out. I found that powerboats flying by put out less wake than those that plow by. Getting better at judging the wake and riding through it. Did have one "oh my gosh" moment when I crested on the wake of boat plowing by and as I went over the wake and the bow of the Sunfish headed down I was hit by the second part of the wake. The bow went through the wave, sending a wall of water over the bow and over the splash guard. After the fact, it was kind of fun. The downside is that I to head home for the week, so no sailing for the next week.

Well, it is Friday and that means that I should be back to the water (and the boat) in a few days. Hope the weather next week is good . One thing, the weather here (along the NY-PA border) has been rainy the past few days. Had heavy rain Wednesday, and today looks like a washout also, so being away from the boat is not so bad!! Tomorrow looks like a nice day, weather wise for sailing. If I did not have so much going on I would have liked to take a trip up to the Whitney Point Resovoir ( "best by a dam site") to see how the sailing is. That is where, over 40 years ago, I started my Sunfish sailing. It would be interesting to see how many boats are out. Hey, if you can't be sailing you should at least be watching.

Back at the lake today- nice wind- getting ready to go out- Sunfish is sitting on its skid waiting. Only drawback is that the room to get out from the skid is narrow and the water level drops off quickly so you can not wade out to clear the boat lifts. I'm going to have to work on using a paddle to clear boats and then raise the sail. Getting out is not a real problem when the wind is from the North or the South, as I can leave on a reach, but a west wind blows right at the shore and there is no room to tack out and coming in is exciting as you do not have room to round up into the wind. Have to practice rounding up out a little and lowering the sail and drifting in. That should be some laughs-maybe I can get a payday on Funniest Home Videos.

Attachments

• Sunfish 003.jpg
    Sunfish 003.jpg
    129.3 KB · Views: 122
After a beautiful sailing day yesterday we have the return of the dreaded (by me) wind from the Northwest. Went down to the boat and checked the wind out. Pretty strong, with gusts. They have a 'small craft' warning out on Lake Ontario, but Little Sodus is pretty protected. Slid the boat off the skid ( remembered to close the bailer) and turned the bow into the wind. Waded out a bit and raised the sail---and stood there checking the wind. Moved as far North towards the next dock as I can, trying to see if I would clear my dock on the south on a close reach. Knowing the Sunfish does not point well, it looked close. Last thing I want to do is be heeled over and snag the supports on the end of the dock. Not sure if the lower gaff will clear the dock when the mainsheet is let out. I stood in the water for a while and decided I was not going to make it out today.
The wind was stronger than I want when I try to paddle out and raise the sail, as we were having some whitecaps break out. Put the boat back on the skid and hope the wind dies down and shifts a bit more to the north.
On another note, my wife and I were taking about when I got the Sunfish, as it came with me when we got married. My wife claims I got the boat in 1965, which maybe I did, I think 1966. The boat is #28965, which puts it at a 1965 model. I got it used. In a strange event the Broome County Parks Department decided to run the boat rentals at Dorchester Park on their own. The private individual that ran the rentals the prior year sold the lot of rentals to a Marine Dealer in Whitney Point. I went up to the park and when told of what happened I went over to the Marine Dealer and inquired about the boats. I got to pick the one I wanted and, if I remember (from a guy that can't remember what year he bought it) paid about 1/3 of the cost of a new boat. As Sunfish was the 'hot' boat at the time, I think it was a deal. I owned a Corvair convertible at the time, and had no trailer. I talked a friend into going to Canada (Christie Lake) for the weekend and we built racks for his car out of 2X4s and picked up the boat in Whitney Point and took the boat to Canada. We, 3 of us, sailed the weekend and as I recall got quite a sunburn, as in 1966 sunblock was an unknown and the sign of the 'good life' was a dark tan.

If you can not sail, at least you should be lucky enough to see some sailing. Wednesday night my wife and I wwent to Breitbeck Park in Oswego on the shore of Lake Ontario for a concert. From what I was told Wednesday is the night that the Oswego Yacht club haas a scheduled sail. The concert was short , ending at 8pm but at about 7:45 the boats were returning to Oswego under fukk spinackers. It was a beautiful sight to see. As there had been a small craft warning on the lake they had plenty of wind on the run.

Went to Old Forge Thursday. Only saw about 5 Sunfish, and they were all either on land or moored by docks. Most of the Sunfish had their sails tied along the gafs and rudders attached. We did see one Zuma out enjoying the day

Attachments

• Adirondack Rail &Cruise8.6.09 053.jpg
    Adirondack Rail &Cruise8.6.09 053.jpg
    108.4 KB · Views: 107
Made it out sailing today. The wind was from the SouthWest and a bit gusty. With the angle of hte wind I was able to reach out from the skid, going NorthWest. It took a while to get out, as being Saturday there was a lot of powerboats and I waited for 'clean' waves instead of the wake of the powerboats. With the waves coming in from the SouthWest and most of the powerboat wakes from the NorthWest it made it very choppy at the skid. Had a couple of nice reaches and, when free of powerboat wakes, got into a nice rythem of cutting through the waves. Very entergizing. Hitting wakes breaks that rythem, seems like it was a foot back for 2 forward. Never did get a good run in. The wind started to shift to the west more (after I had reached up the bay a bit) and I stayed mostly on close reaches or beam reaches. No other small boats out. Two boats passed me on broad reaches while I was on close reaches. One was a Venture I believe, as it had a 'V' on the mainsail. It was in the 26-30 foot range. The other I believe was a Cal 26 with a family with kids on it. After about 2 hours out the wind got strangely calm. As we had forcast storms I decided to head in. The wind, what was left of it, was more of a NorthWest wind now. I sailed in on a close reach. I have to wonder, as we did not get any storms if we were going from a 'land breeze' to a 'sea breeze'. All in all, it was a nice day out. Only regrets was that there were no other small boats out.

After 2 days with thunderstorm warnings we have had two great days for sailing. Yesterday had better wind, but today was good also. Todays wind was a bit more challenging, not that it was strong, but it seemed to be out of the northeast. When that happens the wind comes into Little Sodus Bay through a narrow opening by the State Park and does sort of a 'S' curve down the bay, coming off the west shore and then heading for the east shore and then back to the west shore. Makes heading into the wind challenging. Heading towards the west show you feel like you are getting a 'header' only to tack into the wind coming off the east shore, again getting a 'header'. The waves today seemed big for the actual wind, which was not real strong. While sailing I got thinking how relative things are in sailing. Boat speed and heading are only relative to other boats of our same design. As there were no other Sunfish out it was hard to judge if it was that the wind was just not as strong as the vaves would suggest, or I was just sailing slow. At times I expected to pick up a nice lift from the wind, but I never really go the feeling that I was moving well. Never got the feeling on my face or arms that the wind was picking up. Even on a run down the east shore and a gybe to head back up the bay was ot a big deal. (I am not a fan of gybing :) )The rest of the week looks good for sailing, maybe the wind will freshen up a bit and get back to the point where the bow cutting through the waves will throw some spray. Sadly, I do have to admit that I have put a few pounds on since I started sailing and what I used to have to achieve by some athletic hiking out I can now achieve by just hanging the backside over the trim a bit. My center of gravity seems to have shifted lower. :)

We have a nice breeze today, and it is hot and humid- a day you would like to be out on the lake but I'm sitting on shore. The local radar showed a storm oassing just north of us on Lake Ontario and more storms heading northeast up through central NY. After reading the posts on lightning I decided to stay put until the storms pass. I can remember getting caught in a storm on Whitney Point Resivoir (sp) many years ago. My wife and I were out in the Sunfish when a storm blew up from the south. We tried to make it back to the launch which was to the south. Of course that was into the wind. We did not make it back before the storm hit. I don't remember much lightning, but I do recall hail bouncing off the boat. Being many years ago, I do not recall having PFD's, but remember having boat cushions which we slipped our arms through the straps. I know we stayed with the boat and did not capsize. After the storm passed, make that long after, we could laugh about the experience. It did teach me something though. Later in life, although not all that much later, we were out fishing in a 14' rowboat when a storm came up. We did not try to get back to the dock, but pulled into a small bay on the shore (Christie Lake, Ontario) and waited the storm out. We may have got wet, but did not have to worry as much about capsizing or lightning. Well, it is getting darker out, maybe a storm is coming, but I can;'t hear any thunder-yet

Don't know where you are, but it rained here in east Tennessee also. Spent all morning cutting grass and was looking forward to a little sail to cool off. Got the boat out, put the mower away, it started to rain. Said a few bad words about the local weather guessers and put the boat back in the garage. Cleaned off the water spots and put a coat of wax on the hull and watched it rain. Mabey next weekend.

We are sitting on the south shore of Lake Ontario in a bay called 'Little Sodus Bay'. We are east of Rochester (so is Sodus Bay) and west of Oswego. The bay is a couple of miles long and, maybe 1/2 mile wide. Storms skirt along the shore of Lake Ontario and catch us sometimes. Today we had thunder and a spit of rain. Tonight we have nice wind, but only an hour of light left. With the boat trafffic on the bay, navagation lights are a must if you plan on being out in the dark. Problem with the bay is that the marina that services the power boats with gas is at the far end from the breakwaters to Lake Ontario. That is also the end of the bay with 2 marinas that rent out dock space for the power boats. The power boats make a beeline for the marinas, straight down the middle of the bay, the path I usually am on when sailing goes right across that path. I'm learning on how to cope with the wakes. All in all, most power boats are not a problem/ I get a bit more nervous with the power boats when they are 'tubing', as their paths are more erratic. Last time I was out I was on a starboard tack and a nice sailboat we returning down the bay, under motor power. We seemed to be on a course that would make it close to cross. As we neared the other sailboat slowly bore to his left and passed behind me. They gave a wave and I wondered what they think about the smaller sailboats, especially a Sunfish with an older sailor aboard. I always wonder how many have wet their teeth on a Sunfish before moving up to bigger boats and if they have experienced the feeling of being on a small boat where the room for error is small and having conquered the winds for that day.

Nice morning for sailing. Good breeze- not quite a wind-from the northwest. Made it easy to launch today. Waded out and over to the north dock and sailed right out between the boat lifts. Will make coming in a bit interesting. Wind seemed to be doing its 'S' curve down the bay again. Had to keep heading down, as the it seemed I was catchng a lot of headers. Not bad though, with an added plus, by the time I was nearing the opposite shore I was able to tack and hit a course for the state park (Fair Haven Beach State Park). One thing I noticed was that it seemed that I was the only boat on the bay. Not bad though, as I had an objective, make the state park. I was able to stay on the port tack all the way to the park, but fell just short of my objective, the mooring pier. As I got close I could see it would be close to pass the end of the pier. I tried to pinch, but could see i was still under the end of the pier. I did a couple of quick tacks and cleared the pier. Only one boat moored on the pier, a Bayliner, maybe 23'. It was out of Weedsport, a short distance from the park by road, maybe 25 miles. Wondered if they had trailered in or had come up the canal to Oswego and then to the state park. Overnight mooring is $14 I think. Fair Haven park has a nice beach and at $14 a night makes it a cheap vacation. Moorings have no power supplys, so I guess you have to 'rough' it. I dfecided to run back to my dock, along the east shore of the bay. Nice wind at my back. Thought about putting my bottom in the tub, with my feet on the deck, like I used to, but them thought better of it. Not as limber as I once was. Only boat I encountered on the way back was a bass fisherman, casting the shoreline. Sailed a ways past my dock and rounded up and went across again on a starboard tack. Wind was staarting to die a bit. I came about slowly and recalled a recent thread on the board about being unable to come about without getting in irons. Man, I did not have much speed but easily came about onto a port tack. Breeze picked up a bit and I had a nice ride back across the bay. Took another short run down the shore and then a short tack across and decided to head in, as the breeze was getting lighter, and it was getting very overcast. Still thinking if ones gets in irons in light or heavy wind. Will have to see what tomorrow brings. Tonight it is off to Oswego to a concert at the park and maybe catch a glimps of the boats on their Wednesday sail from the Oswego Yacht Club.

Have not been out in the boat in a few days, tomorrow looks better. Took a ride to Skaneateles Lake today(one of New York State's Finger Lakes) and caught this 23 footer on a starboard tack. The wind was not strong so I was puzzeled that the jib was furled. When he bore away to go on a run I saw why. Despite the other person in the boat, he was trying to manage the main, jib and tiller. Twice when he was setting for the run the tiller escaped him and the boat started to round up into the wind. Despite the light winds the boat was moving nicely. About 20 minutes aftr I shot this picture we had a flash of lightning and thunder. I don't know where he wsa heading but I hope he made it before the rain hit after the thunder.

Attachments

• Montezuma & Skanatlas 013.jpg
    Montezuma & Skanatlas 013.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 112
Yesterday was not a good day for sailing, so I did not take her out. The rain was needle like and cold. Seasons seem to be changing. Can it really be the last days of August? One brave soul was out on the bay, heading north. I think it was a 32 footer by the insignia on the sail. I did not go down to the shore to get a better look, as it was raining pretty good. I did watch as they were putting up the jib , one person struggling on the bow. Thought maybe they were cruising the lake, but did see them come back down the bay later.
It did clear later, around 5pm, but we were heading into Oswego for the last concert of the season. The Oswego Yacht club was out in force, as was the wind which was out of the northeast. They must run a straight course, tack to the mark and run back. Lots of spinakers(sp?) flying on the run. They were all heading in around 7:30, as sunsets around 8. Beautiful sunset last night. Music, sailboats to watch and a nice sunset. Life is good :)

Today might have been a good day for sailing, but I am 100 miles from the boat. Had to make the trip home to mow the lawn. Can't mow the lawn in the rain, so have to give up a good day to come home and do it. A least I was able to pack in a dentist appointment on the same day. Yesterday was a great day for sailing. I headed out after lunch, about 12:30pm. The winds were brisk with an occasional gust. Moderate chop on the water. I usually try to sail with some objective in mind, that is some point to sail to, but today I decided to enjoy some reaches. As the wind was from the north it made reaching across the bay a snap. Had some nice beam reaches. That point where everything seems to be in place. The wake coming out on the lee side just in front of the mast and the wake on the windward side back by the splashguard. Every now and then the chop hitting the boat and spray hitting you in the arm. Make one forget they are 60plus-just you and the boat as one. I do enjoy the harken block, takes a bit of pressure off the hands. I do carry the sail a bit to high, but at my age, and weight, the extra headroom is a plus and there is not an issue with to much heel in the boat. Did some close reaches, enjoyed the spray even more. Did a broad reach and it felt like the wake was even, just about at the end of the splashguard. Kept moving up in the cockpit to keep the nose down. Ended up sitting on the front corner, stretched out with the tiller extension (original 1966 vintage). Did cross my mind what would happen if the tiller and extension parted ways while I was stretched out. At the end of one broad reach I threw in a nice jibe and went off, back across on another broad reach. Fantastic feeling. Thinking it was about time to head in ( I usually stay out about 2 hours) I reached to the far side of the bay, planing to reach back, but as I pulled the sail in, ready to come about it seemed the wind had shifted to the west slightly. Could I sail to the State Park close hauled? Got to try. Took one long port tack up the bay towards Lake Ontario and Fair Haven Beach State Park. I was one lift short of hitting my mark, so I did a short starboard tack, then onto port and I was at the park. Decided to run back to my place, along the east shore. There was a I/O at the dock at the park. Seems his planned time to leave the dock and my run past were pretty much coordinated. He came out slowly, which was good as he was not really paying much attention. He was standing adjusting the canvas over his position in the boat. He kept coming out and was getting closer. I was on a starboard run, so to head in behind him would have meant a jibe, to come onto a reach may have put us side to side. I, bent down looking under the sail, gave a big "HEY", and got his attention. He put his boat into neutral and I passed in front, getting a dirty stare from him. Now I do carry a whistle, but using it was nowhere in my mind at the time. After he got his canvas adjusted he came down the east shore, eventually getting between me and the shore. As we got near to my skid I decided not to jibe, but pulled into a starboard reach and came about and headed in. Only saw 2 other sailboats on the bay. One was a sloop with a large "C" with a smaller "s" inside it. Followed by '32'. The other had not sail insignia. One other thought went through my mind on my long tack. With the old bridle with the center loop it seems you can pull teh sail more to the center of the boat than with the non-looped bridle, where the mainsheet goes to the end of the bridle, near the side of the transom. Does this change how close you can sail to the wind? That is, make the boat point higher? All in all it was a great 3 hours of sailing.

Not a good weekend for sailing here on Litttle Sodus Bay. Lots of rain and strong winds. More wind than I wanted to test, or have test my old Sunfish. Yesterday a cold front moved through and the wind was really whipping. Took a drive to the other side of the bay to the west breakwater to check out the waves. The waves must have been running 4 ft. The channel from the bay to the lake between the breakwaters had waves cresting even with the breakwaters. Got several pictures of the waves and have attached 2. One shows a wave, full of sand, exploding on the breakwater. The other shows waves breaking overthe breakwater at the red channel marker.

Attachments

• West Barrier Park 042.jpg
    West Barrier Park 042.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 104
  • West Barrier Park 044.jpg
    West Barrier Park 044.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 98
Yesterday was a great day for a relaxing sail. Just enough wind to move you along, but not enough to have to be 'on your toes', but just right for moving along 'thinking'. The wind was from the northeast, with a slight chop, maybe some one footers, but not a lot. Took the usual tack to the west shore and then came onto a port tact to head for the State Park. As I neared the State Park I noticed a power cruiser anchored off the east shore, maybe in the 35 foot range. Not sure if I could pass in front of her I eased off and passed behind. She was "Serenity" out of Rochester, NY. No one seemed abord and then I noticed a small dingy at the beach dock of the park. After I passed behind I came on a starboard tack and passed her bow. Looking back I was glad she was at anchor, as the bow would not be something I would want to see coming at me if she was underway. Once I made the State Park I made the run back down the east shore. By now the couple had returned to the cruiser and were on the top deck. We exchanged plesanties as I went by. Remarked what a beautiful day it was and how we had not had many this summer. (July was a complete waste) I ran past my dock and down to what used to be Shawns (formally Shon's and before that Buster's) Marina. It is empty now. At one time there was probably 20-30 powerboats there, in the 16-20foot range. They also had moorings for 7 or 8 sailboats there. Now, just empty. It was the home of the 'Sara B', a 40 schooner that was rebuilt in the last couple of years. (For some winter reading you may want to go to ' www.silversailing.com " and look under "lake Onterio Log" and find the thread that starts with something like 'what have we done'. The boat was purchased on E-Bay and brought to Fair Haven and rebuilt. Nice pictures of the project and some videos of the schooner under way)
Took a few reaches and then decided to head up towards a part of the bay called 'Grass Island'. Back in the day when Little Sodus Bay was a port where coal from PA was shipped to the Great Lakes they dredged out the northeast side of the bay to make it navigble for Lake Ontario shipping boats and dropped the dredgings on the north west bottom of the bay making a shoal now called 'Grass Island". As I approached the 2 markers for the shoal I went on a run and I could look down and see the bottom appear, and then a lot of weeds. Pulled up the board and ran down the west side. By now it was time to head in, so I jibed and reached back to my dock. All in all it was a very nice day to be out for a relaxing sail and take time to recall the past history of the bay and other nice sails on the bay. Sad part is there is ot doubt that 'fall is in the air' and soon the take out will not be for a sail, but for the end of the season.

Sorry, the link above should be 'www.silverwaters.com" not 'silversailing'. Have it on my favorites and had a 'brainfreeze when trying to recall it.

Winds out of the west-makes for interesting sailing on Little Sodus, as the bay is pretty much North-South. The west shore gets blanketed, as the shore is pretty steep, and the east shore gets some funny wind paterns from the shore and bays, but get in the middle and you have a 2 1/2 mile tack from one end to the other. After I was able to get out of my dock area, no small feat as it is narrow and you have to point into the wind, the sailing was great. I managed to get out on the first try, as I walked my boat to the dock on the north and pointed her bow south. I waded out to a point that I felt I could get up on her side and away we went. I wonder what people think when they see me sprawled on the side of the sunfish along the cockpit as I leave the shore. I wanted to head south as that is towards my dock and if I did not clear the dock at least I would be hitting my own powerboat. I pulled the sail in as close as I could and, not being able to see my boat, I think I just cleared her, although I thought I heard a little 'clink' where my lower gaff might have caught the end of the dock. I went south for a bit and came about on a port tack and went all the way to the statepark, about 1/2 mile, came about and tacked back past my dock about an extra 1/2 mile. I did this a couple of times and then decided to try to reack close to the west shore. I reached close to the west shore, but that put me in the main route from Lake Ontario to the marinas at the south end of the bay, so I reached back over towards the east shore. Saw a couple of sailboats out. Some were heading out on to Lake Ontario but there was another couple in a small sloop that was using the wind to ride tacks from one end of the bay to the other. I did not get the make of the boat, smaller than an O'Day Daysailer, but it had a nice main- a brown and orange stripe from 2/3 up the leach to about 1/3 up the luff. Almost thought it had a M in a brown and orange circle on the main.. Most exciting part was coming back in. On a run I had to untie the knot in my mainsheet and release the sail. It actually was 180 degrees in front of me as I glided in. I slid of the boat, in a bout 4' of water (the bank at my skid is about a 3' vertical drop and rock filled to prevent erosion) and stoped the boat before I hit shore. I have to learn to point into the wind and drift backwards in. Put that on next years list of 'to dos'. All in all, a nice day. I do like to do more 'coming about' than I did today, but the long tacks were enjoyable. For a Friday before a major weekend the bay was pretty quiet.

Yesterday was a 'no sail' day, it could not even be a 'drift' day as the wind was nowhere to be found. Usually a bit if a 'sea breeze' will build in the afternoon, but not yesterday. My wife and I took a ride (by car) over to my daughter's house for dinner and on the way home the fog had settled in. No wind to move it out. This morning was 'flat' on the bay again so after lunch my wife and I decided to take the power boat out. The water has dropped about 10 inches in the last two weeks. I have my Sunfish on a skid on the bank of the bay and the one end is supported by cinderblocks in the water. I started with 2 full blocks and a 3inch block on each corner. Last week I pulled the 3 inch block out and now I see the full block is completely above water and the water level is an inch or so down on the bottom block. May have to pull the full block and put the 3 inch block in. We took a nice ride around the bay, my wife looking at the cottages and I looing at sailboats. Large number of cruising sailboats at the Fair Haven Yacht Club. I was mainly loooking for other Sunfish on the bay and maybe see a nice O'Day Daysailor for sale. I counted 8 Sunfish that I could see. Some on skids, some on their sides leaning against boat houses etc. and a few upside down on the shore. A few looked like they were faurly new, but I saw only one with its mast up and a sail folded on it. This seems about right, as I have only seen one other Sunfish sailing on the bay all summer long. Not an O'Day to bee seen. I have seen a nice one with a red hull out several times this year. After we made a tour of the bay I did notice the wind was building from the north, maybe a 'seabreeze' coming in. I did see one sailboat head out towards the chute that goes out to Lake Ontario, only to turn back. Must have been getting rough on the lake. With a wind from the north there is nothing to breakthe waves. The bay was getting a bit chopppy at the south end, but the east shore was still pretty flat. No tiime to sail tonight, heading back over to daughter's. Maybe tomorrow will bring fair winds.

Well today was a 'sailing' day. but probably should not have been. Winds from the south, fairly strong. Had no trouble leaving the shore. Was able to point right out between the docks. One thing I had to do before I left shore was to pull the blocks out from under the end of my skid and put the 3 inchers in, as I had feared yesterday. Got that all done and only had to chase the Sunfish once as it drifted towards the dock to the north. One out in the bay I noticed the wind was a bit stronger than I expected. I also noticed that I had not run the mainsheet through the two ties I have on the lower gaff to keep the mainsheet from catching my PFD when coming about. Not a big deal. Had to keep on my toes, as you could see the gusts coming across the water. Picked up a really nice gust on my tack to the west side of the bay. It was the kind of gust that puts your bow wake back under the mast and you really feel like you are flying. (for me, a bit on the heavy side, it was exilerating) As I crossed the bay I noticed a powerboat coming through the chute from Lake Ontario. I did not pay a lot of attention as boats routinly come down the bay, and tacked to the shadow of the west shore so I could come about in less wind. As I started my tack back, a close reach, I again spotted the power boat heading down the bay towards me. I continued on my tack and the wind headed me, causing me to head down a bit. The power boat was still a ways away from me, below my point of sail, but still coming on. As we converged I knew we were on a course that we would either collide or be real close. I did not think I could pass his bow. I could see him, over my bow as we neared. I hailed him (again forgot about the whistle around my neck I should have been blowing) . He did not alter course. I bore off, fearing I might jibe, which was something I did not want to do in the wind we had. I passed below him on a broad reach and broke through his wake, which was substantial, and pulled into a beam reach. I looked over my shoulder and there were three of four people on the back deck of the boat, all pretty young (remember I'm in my 60's) One of them yelled something to the effect that I should 'watch out'. I was so fuming over the incident that I continued in the east shore and docked my boat. My wife could tell I was upset. I have never come that close on the bay to being hit by a power boat. (when my wife and I raced Comets in the Open Division we had some close crosssings with other sailboats, but we knew everyone was on their toes and we were moving slowly at the start) I wanted to drive down to the marina and remind them, if that was where they were, of the 'rules of the road' when it comes to sailboats and power boats, but my wife did not think it was a good idea, and maybe so. It takes a lot to get me going, and this did. I probably would have given them a piece of my mind and I guess I need all I have. Enough 'venting' Tomorrow is another day.

Today is overcast and the bay is like a mirror, not a ripple in sight. Looks like I'll head into Oswego to pick up some things I'll need to close up the RV. Can not believe it is getting near the end of the season. (actually we plan to be here until mid-October), but the end of the season is in sight. Soon when I think of 'taking her out' will not mean sailing, but putting her on the trailer and heading home with her. Speakiing of trailers I have a "Moody" trailer I bought in the early 70's after my wife and I decided that putting the Sunfish on the top of her 65 Dodge Dart was not the exercise we needed. The Moody was designed for a Sunfish and if I remember correctly even had an option to carry 2 Sunfish with them double decked. I was worried about the trailer last year and took into my mechanic and had the bearings and seals replaced, and maybe new races. (I had always repacked the bearings myself and had 'bearing buddies on it) I thought being so old parts would be a problem. He told me that the trailer was very well made, with oversized bearings for the size of the trailer. I had the trailer modified years ago to extend it to carry my 16' Comet, but it was easy to move the winch stand back to fit the Sunfish. I also use it to carry my 12' Petrel SB12. which never got into the water this year. It needs a new masthead sleave for the main halyard. The old one consisted of a molded plastic cap that the sun has caused to break away. Wonder if I can modify a Sunfish cap to fit. I keep looking at the Petel mast and it looks teardrop shape due to the sail track for the m ain. Have to pull the cap off and see what it is and its diameter. Was in the water yesterday moving the powerboat lift out, again, very calm yesterday. Water seemed warm, but air was cool. Only say 1 sailboat out, coming back down the bay. Looks like rain any moment. Better heaad out.

Have not been out sailing in a while. Things pile up fast. Not much wind on the bay today. There was a 'race' on the bay this morning. Looked like a real 'drifter'. About 6 sloops started at the south end of the bay and rode what little breeze there was to a finish line straight out in front of our RV park. The whole race was run on a 'run'. Yesterday we took the docks out, a sure sign of the season ending. Power boat went to the marina last Thursday. I was home from last Monday until Wednesday getting things done there before getting back to the RV. Sunfish is still on its skid, hope to get a day to sail, but water level is way down. At the start of the season the skid was on 2 blocks and a 1/2 block in the water. I pulled blocks out and now the block is not even in the water. Got a picture of it. I should move the skid out a bit. The nights are getting colder, 45 degrees last night. Now it is 65 out. A nice day to catch an fall ssail, if there was a breeze. Maybe a 'sea breeze' will kick in this afternoon.

Attachments

• Sunfish 003.jpg
    Sunfish 003.jpg
    156.9 KB · Views: 91
  • Sunfish 005.jpg
    Sunfish 005.jpg
    143.9 KB · Views: 98
Caught a couple of quick sails when the temp got up in the mid 60's earlier . but the last few days have been in the 50's and the wind has been strong. Not a day for me to venture out-maybe in an earlier day- but not now. Today I decided it would be my last day to take her out-out of the water that is. We went down to the water and debated if I should sail her down to the public launch or take it off the skid and put her on the trailer. I opted for the latter. with input from my wife. (She got out of driving the trailer to the boat ramp.) I angled it on the skid and winched it onto the trailer where it sits now. If we get warm weather now, I should get a thankyou from the people left in the park-it is usually the case when you end something the weather will go to the opposite way to give you one last jab. Wife said I need to refinish the rudder (I did the centerboard during a rainy spell this summer) so maybe I will get to that.
Need to think about getting the "Petrel" repaired for sailing next year. That was one of my plans for this year that never got done. I did see 2 Petrels up for sale this year. I have searched Petrels on a regular basis and only come up with a Petrel in England, not the Canadian one I have. The one I have is 12 feet long, sloop rigged, designed by Phillip Phodes and made of aluminum. It is not fast, but has a deep 'V' that cuts through chop. I think it was made mainly for the St. Lawrence river area. One Petrel was on EBay with a start bid of $800. Never got a bid, as it had no main with it. The other was on Craigs List and had a price of $1175. It did look in excelent shape. Mine shows a lot of 'wear and tear'. The boat has a false bottom and is susposed to be self rescueing. Never capsized it, so I don't know. At 12 feet long it is a fun little boat, with a lot of weight so it take the waves pretty good. Comfortable for 2 or 3 which is why I bought it, as my wife was getting tired of hanging on the front of the Sunfish and, beng aluminum it can be left in the water all the time. (the boat)
Well, plans for next year- sailing is only 6 or 7 months away- depressing isn't it?

Looks like we are ready for the 'last trip' of the season. It has been a good season in many ways, yet there are many things that I did not get done. (Hey, she sailed OK without getting the rudder refinished). So soon the Sunfish will take its place in the backyard with the Petrel and the Comet and wait patiently for next spring. We, she and I, hope to share many enjoyable days again next year. In retrospect I did what I set out to do, make myself sail more, that is to kick in my ambition, by 'blogging' my summer on this forum. In past summers, before retirement, a good summer may have been getting out 8 or 9 time, usually on a Sunday for a race. This year I have been out 3 times that, so in that way it was good, and we did not have a good summer as far as weather, July was a bust with the cool and rain. Well, rambled enough. Thanks for indulging me this summer.

Attachments

• Sunfish on trailer 004.jpg
    Sunfish on trailer 004.jpg
    171.5 KB · Views: 88
The Sunfish is back home in the backyard. It was an interesting trip, even though I was heading to the NY-PA border which was under a "Winter Storm Watch", it was the drive home that was interesting. I had been on the road about 10 miles when I looked in the rear-view mirror and notiiced it looked like the Sunfish was trying to pass me to leeward. I pulled over and checked the boat. It had turned about 15 degrees to the port side. The boat was firmly attached to the trailer, but the bow was out of the winch stand. I had to release the winch and also the strap over the cockpit to put the boat straight again. I retightened everything and was on my way again. The same thing happened in another 10 miles. I went through ther whole proceedure again, in fact I broke the winch rope snugging the bow up. I checked the bunks on the trailer and they were fine. I decided to run the rope straight to the bow, even though I usually run it through a pully on the winch stand to give me some down force on the bow, as I don't want to see the Sunfish come up over the winchstand. That seemed to do the trick, as the boat traiiled fine the rest of the way home. I unhitched the trailer and walked her to the back yard. I headed back to Fair Haven, driving through snow for the first 30 miles. The weather was beautiful in Fair Haven when I got back, and I experenced something I have never heard before. As I sat on the front porch of the RV I heard a faint 'whomping' sound. I looked up there was a flock of geese, maybe 50, so low I could hear their wings in the air. The geese have moved into the bay now, preparing for their migration. It is facinating to watch them as they seem to be practicing taking off and forming up and then landing again.

Woke up to a rainy day, so can only plan what has to be done. The Sunfish sits in the back yard, or the 'boat yard' as my wife calls it. Can not get it ready for winter, as I have to move it around to take care of the leaves that fall. I do know where the Harken block is, which is where this whole thing started, it is still attached to the boat. I need to remove it and put it where I will not have to search for it next spring like I did this year.
Been reading the posts on storage. Storage seems to change over the years. When I first got the boat, and was still in college, the boat spent winters leaning against the garage wall at my parents house with a 1X6 board between the aluminum trim and garage floor and a piece of carpet between the top trim and the garage wall. The two drain plugs were opened (mine has a plug at each end of the splash guard) and that was the way we dried them out. No one I knew would think of cutting a hole in the deck for an inspection port.
Mast and spars , along with the sail rolled up on them were hung from the garage rafters. It was to much of a job to pop the plastic sail rings off, and if you tried you might break them and have to buy a new set.
I even went as far as to dismantle the trailer, a Moody Sunfish trailer, and take the part with the axle to the cellar and leave the long main tongue in the garage next to the Sunfish.
As time has gone on the Sunfish as spent more winters outside. When I had the Comet on the Moody trailer, the Sunfish was covered with a tarp and leaned, bottom trim on an old tire, against a storage shed. (like, I suspose, many Sunfish that are not being used). Now that the Sunfish is being used again it spends its winters, covered, on the trailer. First years, upside down, but now she winters bottom down, with a plywood cover over the well for support of snow so the tarp does not sage into the well. I will, when leaf raking is over, put the trailer axle on blocks to lift the trailer tires off the ground, more so they don't freeze into the ground in case I have to move the trailer. The mast and spars are hanging from the garage rafters, with sail attached.
So we are slowly getting ready for winter, with next spring in mind.

Just sitting at the computer passing time (when I should be busy gettinng things covered up for the winter) when I went to "Silver Waters" site. I had mentioned the site in an earlier post and how they had restored a old schooner, the Sara B. The Sara B is a beautiful boat, and, when she is on the bay you have to stop and watch her as she plays the wind and navagates the bay.
There is a post about a sail in September and how they have had to work around the loss of the use of the Sara B's engine. Just from reading the events you can feel the connection the have with the Sara B and the admiration they have for sailing and the feats of sailor of the past. Below is the link that should take you to the post.

http://sarab.brownroad.com/ed/entry.php?id=log&cnum=c1&topicno=28

Back