sliding gooseneck

David1st

I raced last sunday, I probably should not have!!! The previous Sunday, I had sailed the fastest race of my career, but this last sunday in less wind I had absolutly no control of the boat, I couldn't flaten the sail and I almost dumped twice!!! I couldn't figure out what was wrong!!! When I got home I found the gooseneck was loose and sliding up and down!!! This was happening even though it was crimped as tight as it could be!!! I made a plastic sleeve for it and tightened it up, but when I lift the lever the gooseneck dosn't slide forward easily. defeating the purpose of the quick release!!! If I back off the nut just a little bit how much bite do you need for it to stay in place in high winds and still slide forward easily when you need it to, or is this just a trial and error thing!!!? Is there a different remedy than a plastic sleeve, other than buying a new gooseneck?

"...This was happening even though it was crimped as tight as it could be!!! Is there a different remedy than a plastic sleeve, other than buying a new gooseneck?
I'll try to be helpful, though I've never seen the quick-release you have.

Perhaps you've worn the base of the release (or the opposing friction seat).

Could the spar be undersized from longtime use? Check with a micrometer. Maybe switch the hardware and use the other end of the spar.

Did you try a washer—or two—under the release? A good hardware store should have bronze or brass washers for shims.

A metals shop or auto-body shop should be able to help, perhaps by a light sandblasting of the interior surfaces of the gooseneck.

Thanks for the imput porpois 2 , Imight try switching end of the boom, sounfds resonable, if I dont' hear some other responses!!!

OK, I did not want to have to weigh in on this, but I will. Your boom did not get smaller due to wear!!! You probably have not even worn thru the anodizing, which is a microscopic layer, much less worn the boom to a thinner diameter!!!

Just keep fiddling with how tight you have the screw tightened and you will eventually get it the way you need it. You should not need a sleeve either. And sandblasting it to make it rougher is certainly not needed. First of all, it does not need to be rougher, and if it did, you would just hit it with a file, not take it to be sandblasted. But don't hit it with a file either, just fiddle with the screw/bolt until you get it right.

BB

Back