News Skrzypiec Wins Newport Regatta

adavid

Results are at the link below...
http://www.sailnewport.org/npt/c/cnt/down/08sunfish.html

Here is the commentary written by John Skrzypiec
The Newport Coastal Living Regatta came and went this past w-end. For those of you who could not join us, you missed some of the best sailing to date this year. The first 4 New England events were all sailed in less than 10kts of breeze(all about 3-8kts) This w-end provided a much wider range for the sailors who are probably still recovering today.

Saturday started off with approx. 10kts from the SE and building with the incoming tide to 15kts with lots of chop and some power boat slop(although not too bad)
At the end of the day John Skrzypiec and Bill Brangiforte shared the lead, 11 points in front of Drew Staniar, with John ahead on a tie-breaker.

On Sunday the wind started strong and built as the afternoon went on. All sailors left the beach with a Jens RIg, except for myself and newcomer Karen Renzuli. I put my Jens in before the first race, however; to be on the safe side. I gave Karen a quick lesson on the beach about the Jens; however, unfortunately for her, she did not have the equipment to put one in on this day.
WIth the winds starting out at 18kts with gusts to 22kts the fleet stayed competitive and close for the first leg of most of the 4 races. John Skrzypiec was able to separate himself from Bill Brangforte with 3 first place finishes of the days 4 races for the overall win. Drew Staniar "held on" to 3rd with Eric Woodman closing the gap and Lee Parks rounding out the top 5.

Another mention to note is that Kurt Charles hung(hanged) tough all w-end. At 15, soon to be 16, Kurt never gave up, finished every race, and gained a lot of strength and knowledge with the conditions in Newport. Look for Kurt to keep getting better. I know at his age, I would have definitely gone in on Sunday as the winds grew to 25kts in the last race. Great job Kurt-

Back