Skipper Johnson - Could he back up from last week?

??????...........whats up skipper j ? your last post was so positive, seemed like you are making good process down under. i always enjoy your posts, makes me feel not so alone in my suckyness.........terry

After doing so well the week before, this week I came last (apart from the Tasar that did its' mast and DNF). We sail a mixed fleet of only about 14 boats. Last week was about 5 knots and I came 3rd. This week about 20 knots. I really struggle in the wind. Particularly upwind. I death rolled on the second last leg and took awhile to get going.

Obviously it's all a learning curve and I cant expect to be better than the old crusties who have been sailing the lake for 20 years. I suppose if I wasn't disappointed, I wouldn't have drive to improve.

I know I'm meant to Ease, Hike, Trim but I was always Easing, rounding up, hiking. My guess is I need to better anticipate the gusts.

Anyway, next week onwards and upwards!

Skipper Johnson said:
What's up Mezza?

Oh, I sailed in Lasers at Vermilion on Lake Erie (one of the Great Lakes, ya know) and they were all really good sailors and I broke my rudder downhaul and every time I checked the rudder had popped up and that's got to be really slow, and I can take losing, don't like it of course, but it's really boring to be so far behind EVERYONE that you can't interact or even see what they are doing to try to copy. And
my knees hurt from crouching in the boat :eek: in light wind, and I have a sore throat from spring allergies :( . So Wah! Wah! Wah!

Gotta admit sailing in waves instead of the usual flat water was fun, especially after I loosened the outhaul to get some power. It wasn't very windy and at least I didn't capsize, but I felt so miserable physically that I didn't even do club racing today.

I know how you feel, it's nice to be competitive even if you don't win. Remeber if you are testing yourself against more experienced sailors, so don't get down. Just make sure you learn something each race. Also remember the person who wins is probably some obsessed nutcase who has no other life (even if he / she isn't tell yourself that!)

Skipper Johnson said:
Just make sure you learn something each race. Also remember the person who wins is probably some obsessed nutcase who has no other life.

Oh - that must be why I never win.

Also remember the person who wins is probably some obsessed nutcase who has no other life (even if he / she isn't tell yourself that!)
I resent that comment. I'm only an obsessed nutcase who has no other life during the summer. And i'm a VERY COLD obsessed nutcase during the spring and fall.

;)

Listen you computerman, I want proof. I'm picking my boat up on Friday and a wetsuit later in the month. Please train me. I can roofrack it to Harraseekett for now.

Back