Sink Plumbing

Brad1peterson

Can someone tell me how the sink is supposed to be plumbed. I just bought a J24, it has a sink hose and a faucet hose, but they don't go anywhere?

I don't really want to use the sink, but not sure what it is supposed to look like.

Second question, is bilge pumping a manual process with a sponge or manual pump.

I will try to post some pictures of my boat's sink/hose set-up. It is a manual pump process, which should be mounted between the bulkhead and the sink.

First picture: Top-Left side black hose comes from the manual pump (not pictured) next to the sink between the bulkhead, goes down to the bottom of the tank. Tank is a tapered piece of plastic to conform to the shape of the hull. Third pic shows the air-vent hose going from the back right side of the tank next to the hull and extends to a fitting that extends from the inside of the upper sink cabinet. Let me know if you need another angle or clearer pic, i am home all weekend. Hope this helps...Cheers!
IMG_8073.JPGIMG_7815.JPGIMG_5654.JPG

The faucet and water tank are no longer required equipment according to class rules for racing. Many boats have eliminated the drain from the sink to the through-hull drain (also eliminated). I eliminated my through-hull drain a dozen or so years ago. For a time, it was required to have a container of some sort attached to the sink drain, but I believe that is no longer required either. This is all about class rules for racing purposes. If that's your interest, check the rule book, posted online via the class website.

Reactions: BFD
About the bilge pump.... my boat, quite early (465) had a bilge pump installed when it was new. I think that was eliminated as standard early on production. A bucket, manual pump, and/or sponge work fine. My boat used to take on many gallons of water until I separated the hull/deck joint, scraped out the bedding compound initially used, and caulked with a polyurethane sealant. That was maybe the most rewarding of all the repairs/upgrades I've made over the years. One winter when it was in a boatyard 2+ hours away from home, I got ~75 gallons of water in the boat over 3 months. After I fixed the problem, there was minimal water to bail out of the boat, even after a long day of heavy-air racing.

I recently bought a J24 and am re-doing the sink plumbing. Two questions about the sink drain hose and through hull:
1) Is it normal for sea water to back up into the hose (not quite up to sink drain), especially when on port tack?
2) I'm getting leaking somewhere, I think from the fitting of hose to the through hull -- maybe my hose clamp isn't tight enough? Should I put some kind of plumbers' tape or sealant around the joint, or just tighten the hose clamp more?? Thanks!

1) Yes, water can go up the hose when the starboard side of the boat is in the water.
2) There might be a pinhole or crack in the tubing which is difficult to see if it is corrugated. Ruling out the hose clamp should be easy to determine. Not sure if your boat is always in the water which makes it difficult, but you should be able to plug up the drain hole, pump in some water and see where it is leaking from. Hose clamps should work on the corrugated pipe. I hate messing with sealants if I don't have to.

I think the molded-in through-hull is a bit crude and difficult to get a good seal with. It could benefit from some silicone between the hose and the "fitting".

I plugged mine up and faired over the outlet, but the ones in the transom for the cockpit drains are similar and I needed silicone along with the clamps to keep them from dripping into the bilge.

Wow that was fast! Thanks for the quick responses guys!

1) Ok thanks. I won't worry about that then.
2) Today I put on a second hose clamp because the guy in the chandlery said two hose clamps is usually standard. And I also put a little Life Caulk on the thru-hull before sliding the hose over it (again at the advice of the chandlery). I'll go for another sail in a few days and see if that fixed it. (The boat is docked in the water all the time, btw.)

As a new J24 owner, it's great to see this forum still active. I work as a sailing instructor and we have about 20 J24's in our fleet!

Back