Shroud to Spread Interface

Steve Rose

When I purchased my Capri 14.2 this spring, I noticed that one shroud was attached to the spreader with wire, while the other was held together by duct tape. While putting our boat back on the buoy after sailing yesterday, my wife noticed that the shroud attached with wire had come free. What is the recommended procedure for wiring this interface? It would seem to me that there should be some freedom in the joint, so that the tensioning and untensioning of the shrouds due to wind load on the sail would not bend the spreaders. Is this true or should the connection be bound tight? What type of wire should be used? Thanks.

Here is a picture of one of my shroud connections. It looks like a fairly stout single strand of ss wire is twisted around the shroud just above and below. Mine has plenty of play without letting the shroud wire come out of the groove. (I wrapped mine in a little bit of sail tape to keep the wire from rubbing against my sail when I'm on a run). Hope this helps

Attachments

• IMG_0946.JPG
    IMG_0946.JPG
    616.7 KB · Views: 87
Don: Thanks for the photo. That looks like a good connection, as it allows the shroud to move up and down with respect to the spreader.

Back