Show Me Your Bungee

Guybrush3pwood

Seeking pictures of your daggerboard/bungee setup. I've searched the forums and while I've seen many speak of their setup, I could really use some pictures to get an idea of how the cord/clips orientation works. Just want to make sure I order the right thing before I start buying things. Looking to see how it connects to the daggerboard and to the boat (bow handle, mast, etc.). Thanks in advance!

I posted this the other day in the “boat pics” thread but it shows my bungee cord setup.

My daggerboard has a hole in the top front. Bungee goes from there up forward around the mast and I wrap it around the tack of the sail. Then back on the other side of the mast and connected back to itself. I then usually wrap it around the head of the daggerboard to give it more tension so that it will hold the daggerboard up if I raise it out of the water.

I think that having it run to the sail tack (in theory) should help hold the sail out when running in lighter winds.

Attachments

• B0F80C7C-3336-46E3-9BC6-8902E30F3E54.jpeg
    B0F80C7C-3336-46E3-9BC6-8902E30F3E54.jpeg
    1,007.5 KB · Views: 166
That's the way I have it rigged as well, except that with my elastic/shock cord I don't need the extra wrap around the board.

Reactions: tag
Aboard my Laser, I drilled a hole in the upper forward corner of the daggerboard, and one end of the shock cord was tied in a small loop through that hole... then it ran forward round the mast, to run aft again and be tied off to that small loop I already mentioned. Worked great, I could set the daggerboard at any height and the shock cord would hold it steadily in place. I used the same system aboard my Minifish, the mast worked just fine for a 180* bend in the shock cord. I also had a short loop of shock cord for lowering & securing the daggerboard all the way down, using that hook in the cockpit... that short loop ran through a hole drilled near the trailing edge of the daggerboard, right under the grip or handle. That was for beating to windward in stiff breeze & heavy chop... I didn't want the daggerboard riding up for any reason when I needed it down for maximum draft. Oh, yeah, with the wooden Minifish dagger, I varnished the drilled holes afterward, using Q-tips so the wood inside the hole would be protected. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Here’s a shot of mine with the sail rigged high enough I don’t need to worry about the littles on a tack or the board in its highest position.
Might be a good way for your next excursion (yeah I seen the video).
This set up may solve a couple issues you had.
A bonus to this set up is when the board is down, the crisscrossed bungee can be set at the perfect height to hold a beverage. You can also see (bottom pic) I’ve tied the extra length of my halyard to the tack, this can help to get the sail out in light winds.
50CD8CAB-601E-4F99-A5A4-228831ABDE02.jpeg
A0D394C4-43BA-4094-A697-56A46F70F745.jpeg
second pic is “Daddy time” on the lake.

I’m not sure I get what “get the sails out in light winds” means. I’ve seen a couple people mention that in conjunction with having some kind of line tied to the tack. Would you mind going into more detail about that?

I’m not sure I get what “get the sails out in light winds” means. I’ve seen a couple people mention that in conjunction with having some kind of line tied to the tack. Would you mind going into more detail about that?
sometimes in lighter winds, when you go to run downwind, the lighter winds don't always cooperate and push the sail out enough, so the line to the tack, using a bungee or halyard tail or whatever, can help you pull the sail so that it rotates out to roughly 90 degrees from centerline so you can sail with the wind at your back.

sometimes in lighter winds, when you go to run downwind, the lighter winds don't always cooperate and push the sail out enough, so the line to the tack, using a bungee or halyard tail or whatever, can help you pull the sail so that it rotates out to roughly 90 degrees from centerline so you can sail with the wind at your back.

A perfect explanation. Thank you!

Now, can anyone recommend some bungee cord? I see a few places that sell it but they’re always a different gauge. Should I get those hooks for the ends as well? Where do the hooks attach exactly? I can’t make out how the hooks are set up in any of the photos.

Sunfish Line Kit *Standard* is the whole line kit ($45) - it includes the shock cord already set up with 2 brummel hooks (red line, black hooks in their pic)
you could call them and see if they will send you just the shock cord and hooks if you don't want to upgrade all of your lines.

If anyone is able, I’d love a photo of your clips. I’m still not sure how everything needs to be connected as far as the clips and connecting it to my daggerboard go.

Im sure you can find others but this is what your looking forhttps://westcoastsailing.net/brummel-hook/

Im sure you can find others but this is what your looking forhttps://westcoastsailing.net/brummel-hook/

Purchased that exact thing a few hours ago. Hopefully they come with instructions but I'm guessing they won't.

Thanks!

Ah ok. I think I've got it now. Once it gets here I'll give it a go.

Thank you for your help and info! I'd be so lost without this group.

Back