Should I use a bottom cover at the dingy park?

Eberhardt

Hello

at my sailing club the lasers are stored on the dollies protected by a top cover. Is this enough or would you recommend the use of a bottom cover too? I ask this because I will get a brand new laser next weekend and I ordered only a top cover. In winter the laser will be stored in my garage.

IMHO, a top cover is enough. Getting the bottom cover on is a pain in the ...

Not much worry from UV either

IMHO, a top cover is enough. Getting the bottom cover on is a pain in the ...

Not much worry from UV either

I don't agree. In all the years I rigged up/down the boat alone, the bottom cover never has been a problem for me. It is not to difficult to get it off/on the hull and away (or later on again) between dolly and hull. Its all about the right technique... :)

UV? Even drLaser mentioned to use covers to protect against UV, so...

However,if one recognizes the first scratches on the under-water side of a newish hull, one wishes profoundly to have had used an undercover...

The cost of a useful undercover related to a new hull is low. Also, one needs an undercover for road transportation, so why not use it for safe storing, too?

Ciao
LooserLu

I only use an undercover when towing (and I always use an undercover for towing). My own thoughts (and I am no expert) is that it is best to allow the air to move around the hull. It might get a bit wet in rain (or a small part of the hull), but with air movement it will quickly dry. An undercover can keep damp against the hull for a lot longer.

Ian

There is absolutely no reason to use a hull cover in the boat park.

I have never seen anyone do this.

It depends on where you are, the harshness of the sun (UV), how cold the winters get (ice) and whether the boat park is well maintained (damage from moving the boat over weeds, trees etc) and even if there are poblems with vandalism and theft in the area. What applicable in one area might not be applicable elsewhere and it also depends on how well you want to look after your boat.

It should be fine without a bottom cover, they are hard to get on; I would worry more about rinsing off the bottom after you sail.

This is the first time that I have to disagree with LooserLu...

:) :) You know, I am here and often view, to learn somethig new, too! So, it seems, I am alone with my "Expert"opinion, am I?

However, I am lucky not to be drLaser, who always had the aspiration to be "above all reproach" ... Next time I have contact to him I try to ask his actual opinion in this issue :)

Have a great sailing weekend, all and G'day!
LooserLu

Don´t use it. Just with the deck cover is enough. Then what I do with the deck cover is that I leave the boom in the middle so when I put the deck cover it forms a little tent so the cover is not in direct contact with the deck surface (more or less only on the edges) this will help at midday when the cover gets hotter so will not transmit the heat to the deck surface. Also it helps when it rains, the water slides better to the sides. I spray 3M Scotchgard for canvas at the deck cover once a year so will repel the water and protect the deck cover and then your boat. Try to leave your boat in a place at the dingy park where the shade of a bulding or trees cover your boat. Helps with the UV. Try to avoid sudden changes in temperatures for your boat (extreme temperatures). Expanding and contraction due to temperatures damages in the long run, don´t leave the drain plug on, let that expansion of air find an easy way out and an easy way in when air contracts because of those changes in ambient and surface temperature.

My opinion will be depending on what it'll be stored .. If you're on sand or grass .. it's ok, don't use the bottom but on rock or hard sand .. you don't wanna cry if you've get scratched, so use it, you never know !

All it's up to you to see .. :rolleyes:

Exactly, I spent two weeks out and my bottom cover was full of water .. :eek:

Please keep your bottom covered...

or at least

use sunscreen
coppertone_1958ad.jpg

Back