Should I fill my sailfish with foam?

Jack Q.

I have a sailfish that most of the top has separated from the hull. Before I glue it back together should I just fill it with expanding foam? Also what’s the best way to glue the top back to the hull?

That’s not the best idea. The foam will add quite a bit of weight. And if water gets in and saturates the foam, it’ll be about impossible to dry it out.

I think to glue the boat together you are supposed to use West epoxy and a lot of clamps. I think Signal Charlie has posted some pictures of him doing this. Use the search function at the upper right to try to find what he has posted.

No, do ot do that. Or you will have to scoop out heavy, wet expanded foam.

hoops stern foam blob.jpg

hoops foam.jpg

Sand the seam. Cut one inch wide strips of 4 oz fiberglass cloth and sandwich it the seam with thickened epoxy, lightly clamp. strips about 3 feet long are easy to handle.

Hoops seam.jpg

IMG_2995.jpg

Fiberglass or wood Sailfish?

Some foam is needed to keep the Sunfish from sinking out of sight. :cool:

We have two schools of thought:

1) Poured expanding 2-part foam.

2) "Pond and Stone" expanding foam in a can branded Great Stuff.

To reattach deck to hull, you're going to need a lot of clamps and stir-sticks to spread the clamping forces. (Or you can use yard sticks or wood trim).

List:

The repair should be done all at the same time to have good alignment. Since I've only done small areas, I'll leave the rest to someone who has!
;)

Thanks for the responses. It seemed like such a great idea. I didn’t think the closed cell foam would get waterlogged. I guess, like many good ideas, the theory doesn’t work out in practice.
My sailfish has a lip on the top that overlaps the hull (See photos). I don’t see how I would clamp it. Would a strip of fiberglass between the top and hull do it? See photo.

Attachments

• 656C2E9A-AD7A-48FF-AF2D-8F29166EC83F.jpeg
    656C2E9A-AD7A-48FF-AF2D-8F29166EC83F.jpeg
    1,017.8 KB · Views: 50
Yes, I'd clean it out as much as possible the bed a strip of fiberglass in thickened epoxy. Get a small epoxy syringe also to inject epoxy into the small voids.Before you do that, put a new backer block inside the hull for the bow handle,

Back