Should i ad a transom drain plug?

po-man sailor

My 1976 sunfish project is missing the old brass plug with 2 small pins. I ordered a plastic one from one of the shops that said it would fit.. it doesn't look like it but I will take a closer look.
Anyway, my boat seems dry and very close to original weight. Question...would you ad a transom plug anyway as a pro active way of draining any future water intrusion after use?

I also need a link that would tell me how to do a soap or preasure test I've heard on here about.
I'm hoping that the only reason my boat appears dry and light is not just because its been in storage forever. I don't want it to have an existing leak and I waterlog it without knowing.

po-man,

I am of the long held opinion the all Sunfish should have a factory installed drain plug as low as possible just like its sister ship, the Laser. It makes it much easier to drain the hull as one does not have to open the deck drain and then turn the boat on its side. However, some believe adding a transom drain plug to an existing hull may render the boat not class legal for racing and I have never added such a plug to any boat the might be raced in any Sunfish Class sanctioned regattas.

I think the Forum has instructions on how to do a leak test (look at the FAQ) and I recall that Kent Lewis (AKA Signal Charlie on the Forum) may (?) have a You Tube video on how to do a leak test. Be careful on how much air pressure you use as you can blow the deck off the hull if you use too much.

Alan Glos
Cazenovia, NY

I come across a few hulls with transom drains. They seem to work well when they are not clogged with old pieces of loose foam.
Having said that.
Since opening a couple hulls now, it is true that the stern seems to have an excessive amount of expanding foam, which could restrict water flow.

No. We've opened a lot of hulls and there can be excess foam back there that restricts water flow, loose bits of foam and you cant get the plug in a spot that is truly a low spot. It may surprise you how high you have to lift the bow to get that stern down, and if you don't pay attention then the gudgeon can be damaged. The boats we restored that had plugs, I sealed those areas back up as usually the plug was not fit well and/or the sealant had dried up, introducing a water intrusion point at a spot just at the waterline.

hoops stern foam blob.jpg

If you want to cut a hole in the boat, consider a deck plate just forward of the daggerboard trunk. When the boat is on level ground the low point in the hull will be directly below the plate. There is also a nice dry bag that can be added to store keys, water bottle, etc...

Fiberglass Sunfish since 1960....and no manufacturer yet has chosen to add a stern drain plug...

Very good info and pic SC. I will NOT be proactively adding an unneccesary drain plug in the stern.

Question...I received my plastic drain plug intensity guys told me would replace the brass deck plug...it will not...without drilling out the hole. This boat seems to be in excellent shape and I am trying to avoid drilling or cutting anything on the hull. I weighed it today and it's 126 lbs. Question...do they actually make a plastic plug that is a direct replacement for the brass one? I notice those with the 2 pins are bout $45. Blows my budget. Thoughts on these plugs???

We found Harken plugs in the kayak section at West Marine that fit years ago. We have also eased that hole open with a half round file to fit the bigger plug.

What we suggest is sourcing the original plug/housing here on the Forum, and in the mean time there is Flex Tape.

For AIr Leak Tests go to our youtube page and use the Search function to search for "air leak test." Several videos will come up.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCskF2TyZ0jgiwIttG7saWMw/search?query=air+leak+test

I come across a few hulls with transom drains. They seem to work well when they are not clogged with old pieces of loose foam.
Having said that.
Since opening a couple hulls now, it is true that the stern seems to have an excessive amount of expanding foam, which could restrict water flow.
I've installed exactly one transom drain in one of my five Sunfish, and will not install another.

Because that Sunfish is stored on a steep ramp, the drain works well; however, I did have to use a metal extension to break up foam flotation.

The transom is thin there, and unsure that it's not leaking around the plug. :confused: If you're still determined, use a spade drill bit.

Post a Wanted ad or maybe one of the parts sellers here in the Forum will see your post. Also keep an eye on ebay.

Back