Should a complete newbie go for a Yachtmaster course?

Should an absolute newbie to sailing try a Yachtmaster Coastal or Offshore course?

• Yes. It's a very good qualification.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No. It's overrated.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

ToroLoco

Hi folks, new to the site and I am just wondering, has anyone done a Yachtmaster course, specifically Coastal or maybe Offshore? When I say I'm a newbie, I really mean it, until I googled it I didn't know the difference between a jib and a halyard :( Anyway, yesterday I had this brilliant idea (?) to make a career in sailing. One of those Zero to Hero courses. Currently I study as an adult student for a BA with a university here in Europe but that is all theory, won't get me a meaningful, enjoyable career. I thought, hey, sailing might. Right?

After much searching I came across a school in an undisclosed country, and the prices are good. $3720 for a 34 day Yachtmaster Coastal. And $6330 for a 3 month Yachtmaster Offshore. Both prices include food and accommodation minus 1 week when you are doing some survival training. I think it is a pretty good price to get a decent, and what I think is a sought after, qualification. What do you think?

Yes, I am early 40's but hey, I'm not like really, really old, like 50 :D I guess most folks starting out would be younger in their 20's usually, maybe 30's, do you think my advanced age may be an issue? In good health aside from well controlled asthma. I do suffer from lower back pain but so do many others, but it's relatively well controlled. What kind of career could I hope to get after obtaining a Yachtmaster Coastal or Offshore certificate? Is it really as sought after as I seem to be reading? There is also a more basic RYA MCA Deck certificate which lasts 28 days and costs $2100, again it also includes food and accommodation. Another good deal I think. The Deck course includes: RYA Competent Crew, RYA Day Skipper Theory, RYA Day Skipper Practical, RYA Powerboat Level II, STCW 95' (Firefighting, First Aid, PSSR), RYA Radio (SRC).

Any feedback would be welcome. Thanks.

Last edited:
Wow, this question spans a pretty broad area. I will not attempt to give you a direct answer because frankly I don't have one. I will posse a couple of questions that may clarify the question for me while at the same time display my ignorance.

Are you interested in sailing or being a sailor? There is a big difference. RAY/MCC Certification requires on the water time with certain responsibilities; do you have time at sea or will the course give you the absolute minimum required time? Not sure what jobs are available for a yacht master with no time other than school. Find out who you would apply to for a job once you graduate and give a few of them a call and ask about the minimum qualifications; they should give you a good idea about the value of the training you are looking for. Now, with that said, if this is really the life you are looking for then my advice would be to go for it. It is said that if you love you job you will never have to work a day in your live...

Good luck!

Back