Shortening standard lower mast section to radial length

jcstiefel

At 140 pounds, 5 ft 9in, I have found the standard Laser more than I can competitively handle in 12+ mph winds. Does anone have any compelling reasons why I should not shorten my lower mast section to the length of a radial rig, acquire a radial sail, and thus be able to keep the boat flatter?

At 140 pounds, 5 ft 9in, I have found the standard Laser more than I can competitively handle in 12+ mph winds. Does anone have any compelling reasons why I should not shorten my lower mast section to the length of a radial rig, acquire a radial sail, and thus be able to keep the boat flatter?

Yes, the wall thickness of the radial lower mast tube is thinner. So a cut-down standard section won't bend the way you'd like it to while sailing.

That being said - a radial rig sounds right for your size; you just need to find a real radial lower mast section.

Thanks, Steven. I'm left with two questions:
1. Would there be a really substantial difference in performance with the stiffer lower mast section? I do strictly club racing in which there is no strict adherance to class rules.
2. What are the inside and outside diameters of the Laser Radial lower mast section? I have a mast from another class of sailboat the outside diameter of which is identical to the lower section of a standard Laser but the inside diameter is larger (thus the wall is thinner). If that tubing met the specs, I could transfer the boomvang tang and gooseneck fitting to the correct length of that mast. If I do that, however, it would seem that the upper section would fit into the lower section VERY loosely. Is it the outside diameter of the Radial lower section that is smaller than the standard lower section?
Any assistance will be appreciated! (obviously I'm trying to avoid paying $265 plus shipping for a new lower section!)

Part of the sailing characteristics of any boat are determined by mast bend.

Bend is important in determining sail shape. You can watch the mast bend as either you

1. Put vang on hard or

2. sheet down to "block-to-block"

So yes, I think you'd be able to notice the difference. This is exactly why the ancient laser "M" was not successful.

Don't know the exact wall thicknesses. Most folks don't bother to get out a micrometer and measure. You'll need to do your own research here.

As mentioned above, there is another possibility of keepting an eye out for a used radial mast section. They come on the market on the laser forum classified occasionally.

Back