Sheeting elbow high

Merrily

Administrator
I've noticed in a couple of pictures (sorry, don't have time to look for them), that women sailing radials hold their mainsheet elbow high, in a line with their shoulder. Does this give good mechanical advantage for pulling in the sheet? Do they keep the elbow high, or is it only there when they are actually pulling the sheet in?

hi

People hold there mainsheet high because if they have to ease the sheet they no they have not got any knots in . if that akes sence . :confused:

Do u meen holding it high like the pic below ?

thanks

Attachments

• paul goodison.jpg
    paul goodison.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 72
hi

People hold there mainsheet high because if they have to ease the sheet they no they have not got any knots in . if that akes sence . :confused:

Do u meen holding it high like the pic below ?

thanks

Thanks for replying, but no, not like that. That hand is high, but not the elbow.

When I was a lad and being coached, we were always told to keep our arms and legs close in, to reduce windage and pitching. Recently someone I know showed me a photo of his daughter sailing, and highlighted the way she had both were arms out wide "like they should be". I asked him why he thought that was good and he couldn't tell me.

I guess it comes down to personal preference, but the only time I raise my sheeting elbow is if its one of those yucky close reaches with big waves about, because I tend to get a bit "twisted" in the boat and find I have a slightly longer range of motion with the sheet in that position.

Maybe someone thats had coaching recently (Ross?) could shed some light as to whether this is being taught everywhere lately.

maybe its to get weight further out, her arms being further away from the centre line??

maybe its to get weight further out, her arms being further away from the centre line??

thats kind of the whole point, like how in 470's and other trap dinghies, the crew hold their arms out over their heads

Back