Sheet and Control Line Markings

Groover

I am interested to know what others have found to be the best way to mark their lines. i) where do you put a mark on your main sheet to indicate when the boom is out 90 degrees, ie where it meets the ratchet block or by the forward boom block or somewhere else. ii) where do you place marks for your outhaul, ie a mark on the mast for the block or somewhere else. iii) lastly the vang settings.

much thanks

I don't really mark my lines, but, I do put a couple of wrap around my boom where I want my outhaul block for max loose setting. And my vang is set of max loose when the double meets the single with becket.

I put a couple of wraps of electrical tape on my boom, and I ease my out off till my forward most outhaul block hits that. That setting is one hand, tip of fingers to watchband wide at the first boom block. And is the loosest setting I use upwind.

sorry I wasn't more clear, I was in a hurry

Don't worry about marking your mainsheet. Mark your mast at exactly 90 degrees with a line of permanent marker.

I do not mark any of my lines. Rather, I mark the boom for my minimum outhaul setting, and I have 2 marks at the base of the mast that I line up with the deck blocks to see when the boom is eased to 90 degrees or more. My vang has a knot for the max ease position so no need for any marks on the lines.

I mark all my sheets... I find it tremendously helpful in the heat of battle. I can round marks with full confidence that my control marks are very close to my optimum settings I set up ahead of time. This frees me up to focus on getting a good rounding, catching the first wave or escaping quickly to the favored side. I mark my outhaul and cunningham with a sharpie pen with four different settings two inches apart. I mark my mainsheet at 90 degrees for a whole different reason. I find that a mark on the mainsheet as it passes through the loop in the middle of the boom is my guide of how hard I push my comfort zone in breeze on conditions. If my mark goes past the loop I expect the boat to be more in death roll mode. If it passes the front block it tells me I'm oversheeted in safe and sane mode. The mainsheet mark being at the middle of the boom is where I am constantly looking and my main focus off the wind. My vang is set by it's loop which is uncleated all the way off as I round the weathermark. I tune it in an inch or two as necessary depending on the wave and wind conditions. :)

photo credit: www.underthesunphotos.com

Attachments

• abycOCRmh07-08L.jpg
    abycOCRmh07-08L.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 92

Back