sharpen your blades!?!

#22
The next picture
http://paigerailey.com/html/pictures/ClarkMills/Original%20Files/Clark%20Mills%20Regatta-laser%20&%20420s%20054.jpg
shows some pretty good ways to head up - ie tiller down slightly, sail being trimmed in, and a little harder to see, she is leaning back with her shoulders and using her back foot to help push the boat up.[/quote]

Her traveler is a surprise to me. I thought the prevailing wisdom was to keep it as tight as you could pretty much all the time. She seems to have it way off. Is this typical for hte start or is it maybe a function of what looks like relatively light winds?
 
#24
49208 said:
There are a few other interesting things to pick out from these pics concerning her pref for rigging - look at the same pics in row 4 (worth waiting for the larger pics to download) and see how many things you can come up with that aren't stock as far as the standard pro package goes. There's one in particular that has me thinking.
Well, her cunningham doesn't go down to the vang, isntead it is in the tape on the mast.
 
#25
TimClark said:
Well, her cunningham doesn't go down to the vang, isntead it is in the tape on the mast.
Yup, that's the one that had me thinking.

I see at least three other changes. Anybody else pick them up ?
 
#26
Something seems wierd to me with the vang, the white line on the vang seems to go down to the bottom of the casing of the vang, otherwise I don't see much else wrong with the boat.

Tim
 
#27
1. Cunningham purchase is reduced to 6-1
2. Vang purchase is reduced to 12-1
3. Top block on vang has been replaced.

I found the the lower part of the cunningham purchased being tied off on the mast the most interesting. It allows a little more throw in the system.
 
Thread starter #28
tieing the cunningham there is something that the Euro sailors do more often than the USA guys.

it's detailed in that XD powerpack rigging guide. Kind of a weird looking set up, never tried it, but obviously they wouldn't use it if it didn't work out ... *shrug*
 
#31
I like the idea of reducing the purchase on the cunningham, it must be easier to ease off when you are going down the downwind leg...I might try it out next weekend and see how it goes.

tim
 
#32
49208 said:
1. Cunningham purchase is reduced to 6-1
2. Vang purchase is reduced to 12-1
3. Top block on vang has been replaced.

I found the the lower part of the cunningham purchased being tied off on the mast the most interesting. It allows a little more throw in the system.
Good observation. I love it when people display photos at this resolution on the net.

How is the lower cunningham tie off done?

This is from the XD instructions, I'm not sure if it would produce the same result.

 
#33
Concerning the cunningham: what is the effect of rigging it in this way? Obviously the sail will be pulled a little more forward, instead of straight down. But how does that change the shape of the sail?

Concerning the blades: I do not think the pictures show blades that are as sharp as a knife. Sure, she has faired the edges, but probably there is still some thickness. There are some controversies about what would be faster: a sharp blade or a blade that is squared off at the trailing edge. It has been suggested by some experts that it does not make a difference. Any thoughts?
 
#34
If it's not that exact tie off, it's got to be close, and the tape around it looks like it just keeps it from shifting...

I don't think that arrangment pulls the cunningham forward much at all, since one part of the purchase still has to go to the block on the deck. When I orignally looked at it, that's what I was thinking the reasoning was, but now I think it's all about adding a little more throw to the system.
 
#35
This is the Railey Block:



It looks like it is held forward some how? Perhaps with the tail end of a bowline, I doubt the tape would have the ability to hold it.
 
#36
She could have just wrapped the line around the mast so that it would come to about halfway around, the tape could probably hold it if its a strong enough kind.

Tim
 
#38
do whatever you want to the boat, here and there, it won't make one bit of differance when you screw up the start, get caught in traffic at the mark, or otherwise really mess up. 1/1000th of a knot extra does you little good if you can't sail well to begin with, or if you depend on your boat to win the race for you. I sail a laser, and could care less about getting the last little ounce of performance out of everything, once I can sail a PERFECT race, then I worry about the LITTLE things...
 
#39
Braecrest said:
do whatever you want to the boat, here and there, it won't make one bit of differance when you screw up the start, get caught in traffic at the mark, or otherwise really mess up. 1/1000th of a knot extra does you little good if you can't sail well to begin with, or if you depend on your boat to win the race for you. I sail a laser, and could care less about getting the last little ounce of performance out of everything, once I can sail a PERFECT race, then I worry about the LITTLE things...
Yes. But when you are stuck in front of a computer it's fun to think about the little things.
 
#40
TimClark said:
She could have just wrapped the line around the mast so that it would come to about halfway around, the tape could probably hold it if its a strong enough kind.

Tim
It would be against the rules to use tape to hold a line in a new position. "Creating a fitting" with tape is prohibited.
 
Top