Shaky Sail...

L&VW

In most angles of sail, my Sunfish sail "shivers" continuously. :oops:

I'm pretty sure it's an original (and soft) white sail that came with last year's 1971 Sunfish acquisition—which got sold. Embers from a fire had me patching 20 holes. :( The sail appears "full", and may be considered "blown-out" :confused:, but seems to pull quite well on reaches.

Is it possible shivering/shaking is a desirable trait in a Sunfish sail?

Like, "perfectly-tuned"? ;)

No...it will create turbulence. That's why larger sails will have "leach lines", and similar along the foot, to eliminate sail flutter. An over "cupped" sail is more desirable over one that is fluttering, for smooth and best air flow.

Absent a leach line, can this be improved by tightening one (or both) outhauls? (It was too windy to go out yesterday, and maybe too calm today :confused: ).

If you are just day sailing why worry about it. You are dealing with a 48 year old blown out sail. The Ratsy & Lapthorn sails never had much shape.

If you want performance buy a new sail.

Last edited:
If you are just day sailing why worry about it. You are dealing with a 48 year old blown out sail. The Ratsy & Lapthorn sails never had much shape.

If you want performance buy a new sail.
I tend to agree, but I've seen instances were the sound was a bit counter to the peacefulness of a relaxing sail. Usually not, but you have to turn your brain "off" to the attention it typically garners....something some sailors are not able to easily do

Last edited:

Back