setting boom height

chairwright

I just bought an older Capri 14.2 for my son to use and am curious about where to set the boom height. To haul the main to the top of the mast seems very high. And it seems that it will cause the gooseneck fitting to exit the sail track through the slot opening. I do like the boat and it seems to be just the thing for my son.

Thanks

I just bought an older Capri 14.2 for my son to use and am curious about where to set the boom height. To haul the main to the top of the mast seems very high. And it seems that it will cause the gooseneck fitting to exit the sail track through the slot opening. I do like the boat and it seems to be just the thing for my son.

Thanks
There should be a downhaul line on the gooseneck fitting. It should be tied to a cleat on the back of the mast below the fitting. Raise the sail to the top of your mast and let the sail and boom hang free. The fitting should still be below the slot opening. The downhall line can then be used to pull the sail down to flatten the main sail. The downhaul,outhaul and boom vang are all used to power up or de-power the main sail. There is a stop in the mast below the boom. The boom should have atleast 6" of slack before it makes contact when tightening the down haul. Good luck Charley

I must have a small main. It has the proper insignia but perhaps it was cut down. If I raise it to the top of the mast, the gooseneck will definitely exit through the slot opening and the boom is just ridiculously high. When I hoist it to where it seems it should be, it is a couple feet shy of the top of the mast. A good size maybe for my 11 year old son. I will measure it now that I found the 17' 3" luff measurement in the handbook.
Thanks

Back