Set-up for Quick Rigging

Saudek

I just got a used, race-ready Laser that sails great with pro set-up. Sails great, but the boat's main use now is by a range of family members who will go on short spins through the day. The easier it is to get out on the water, the more the boat will be used.

Any tips on setting up the boat for maximum ease of rigging? I've seen a few threads on this, like using a hook to attach the cunningham. Any other ideas? I don't care about race-certification, since I can swap in the proper equipment if needed.

A shout-out to the most creative time-saving idea.

Hi there,
I've found that one area to save time is the outhaul. If you use the standard 2 block setup at the mast, you have a lot of threading to get set up.

I have one outhaul block lashed to the boom just forward of the vang fitting, then another block lashed to the mast above the goose neck. All the outhaul parts stay on the boom for transport. So the only thing you need to do is thread the control line at the mast and at the deck. I also use a clew hook.

I think you are on the right track with the c'ham. One thing to note is that the wichard hook that you've seen others use can be hard to get through some sail grommets. The hook can be lashed to the mast near the lower vang fitting. Then all you need to do is feed a loop through the grommet.

I've got a few pictures and I'll try to get them posted.

Thanks, Sidewinder, good ideas.
How about the sheet? I'm thinking something like a snatch block at the traveler to save time threading it.

I don't feel like the main is a big hassle. Any hardware that you add in there, not class legal of course, will lengthen the distance when the main is two-blocked. This is bad for upwind.

The main blocks actually have "sister clips" built into them already but they can come apart at the worst possible moment if they aren't taped or shrink wrapped together. Maybe you could invent some type of re-usable wrap for this application.

Off the top of my head --

use the new harken clew hook, but create a short outhaul line that's lead to the on-boom cleat, and "set it and forget it" at the dock.

Use wichard's smallest carabiner like hook to attach to the cunningham and lead through the cunningham hole on the main. It doesn't seem like it'll fit, but you can open it, then feed it through like a fish-hook.

Use "t" quick attach bungees to wrap the vang, and cunningham to the mast after their disconnected from the main and boom.

Back