Server too Busy Error

Bradley

Admin/Operations
Staff member
Many of you have contacted me regarding the server too busy error, which I have encountered myself. There is actually nothing wrong with the site just a lot of people on it! I will try to increase the amount of RAM and processing power available on my server this afternoon.

As always, if you experience any problems please don't hesitate to contact me!

Thanks,

yea I've been getting that A LOT! time for a new server my man

Something seriously needs to be done to this forum, more than half the people that visit, probably 2/3's are non-members, and most of them spend their time looking at the for-sale ads. The server gets busy around 70-80 people and it clogs up, this must be fixed if this site has any hope of being sucessful

There is no need to worry. Increasing server capacity is very easy and only takes a few minutes. I am just analyzing usage data to see what actually needs to be updated or if there is something else that could solve the problem. You also have to remember there is more that one site running on my server. During peak hours there is often 100+ users on other parts of the Sailing Forums Network.

yea, I figured as much

would nice if we could be able to run as many as thousands of people, as SA does, like I said, lots of the people that visit this paticular forum are guests, and heck, even half the people that that are members don't even post! That needs to be fixed, people need to post more

Ross - SA probably has the same percentage of non-posters as TLF, so I doubt that anything really needs to be 'fixed'.

Bradley - I am sure I speak for many people here when I say that we appreciate the free service you offer, and thanks for addressing this issue!

I agree that it is worth taking time to identify what problems (if any) need addressing. There is no point in upgrading something only to find it makes no difference to the problem (and installing the ineffective upgrade just causes disruption itself).

My experience is that it happens sometimes for 5 mins (maybe longer) and then is clear. Thus it is still possible to use the forum, just not as convenient as normal (but no massive issue).

I would expect that most people seeing the message will wait and try again after a bit. I would not expect it to "chase away" anybody who wants to learn, contribute or is seeking something 2nd hand.

I would also like to add my thanks for an excellent and free forum.

Ian

yea, I figured as much

would nice if we could be able to run as many as thousands of people, as SA does, like I said, lots of the people that visit this paticular forum are guests, and heck, even half the people that that are members don't even post! That needs to be fixed, people need to post more

Alternatively Ross, if you posted less then it might free up some bandwidth. I'm not saying don't post at all, just try to only post useful constructive information?

Bradley, Keep up the awesome work. If it's a bandwidth issue though and you feel like paying back to the company as you've indirectly stolen so much company time (mine) feel free to give us a call at Level 3!

Alternatively Ross, if you posted less then it might free up some bandwidth. I'm not saying don't post at all, just try to only post useful constructive information?

dude, are you kidding me?

I'm sure you could say the same about everyone here, but you choose to attack me? Not nice bro, not nice at all....

Gee, maybe the forum should only be open to dues-paying class members...

....sorry, I couldn't help myself.

Yeah, except you get guys like me looking around for a while, deciding what, how, and whether to join the class before jumping in with both feet, buying the oldest beater possible (see -- traffic on the for-sale board) and THEN becoming a class member.

nothing wrong with that, I believe if you buy the boat, you should join the class to support it, they come together in the same hand

if your a class member, you should be allowed to post here because your interests are obviously with the class and the progression of it

I appreciate all of the warm comments regarding this forum. I am glad to and even enjoy providing this service to you all. The problem is actually not bandwidth (but thanks for the offer) but server processing power and RAM. I have essentially doubled all of these resources so the server should run faster with less Busy Messages. Of course if 300 people get on at the same time it is still going to bog down and, as a safety measure, start rejecting new visitors.

Thanks to APS and our GoogleAdsense sponsors, The Laser Forum is and will continue to be free with no strings attached!

Cheers,

ok this is getting bloody ridiculous, out of the say 10 I visited today, 8 time's I got the server busy message errer

ok this is getting bloody ridiculous, out of the say 10 I visited today, 8 time's I got the server busy message errer

* I just tried to post this, and got it again!

while we're on the topic of busy server etc

nothing annoys me more than drafting a reply only to find that i've timed out and lost the reply. There are ways around this away from the site, but would it be possible to keep the link to the site once you enter a reply page? And not being able to cut and paste fromt he reply box is annoying.

Also, how does log out times effect the server? If people sign in and then don't log out, but go away from the site all day does it reduce the server capacity?

you keep posting as often as you like, Ross

:D

what the hell?

something is up. The site timed out on the above message and sent me an error notice, and when I went back to get what was written it was gone.

can't find a link to site support so this will have to do.

Back