Serial Number Info?

Joe Mama

The "Marine Facilities" Committee at our club is cleaning out the yard. The usual stuff whether it be abandoned or forgotten is getting the heave-ho. I came across an old Laser hull that was stripped down witha crack or two topside."Take it away" I was told. After reading other posts about the location of the serial/ID number. I found it under the fairlead on the bow.
The serial number reads "387" with no prefix or suffix letters. Could anyone help me with some information as to when and where she was built?
It'll be my winter project when not doing Frostbiting RC.

Thanks...

JKM

Originally Lasers had the number put under the bow eye, before they were stamped on the transom. I would say its a 71, based on the number, as production boats started around 100.

Don't mean to jump in but I can't help myself :eek:

Wouldn't that mean that it's really the 287th Laser built? If so, that's an early example! :D

Whose got the first one? Is it still out there?

Originally Lasers had the number put under the bow eye, before they were stamped on the transom. I would say its a 71, based on the number, as production boats started around 100.

First official boat is Sailnumber"#0 "="100" under boweye. She was Kirby's Laser and now is in retirement at "Mystic Seaport Museum" somewhere at the US East Coast. There are exsisting a few Laser hulls with hull numbers lower than "100" under the boweye (this numbers have been given later to the hulls, arbitrary), but the hearsay is, they have been build later than the Laser of Kirby.

Back