Self bailing valve

Chadstx

bought a Sunfish from I was told a racer he deleted the self Bailer from the cockpit what was the reason for that? Should I Replace? I can’t imagine handbilling while sailing any suggestions thank you ?

Doesn't make sense. Getting rid of the bailer is against the Class rules.
For weekend/leisure sailors a stopper in the hole will work, but the Sunfish bailer will work better. I agree that you don't want to bail while sailing in windy conditions.

Thank you what do you recommend plastic or brass one the original style from sunfish or better manufacture and where do I️ look for one?

I recommend the current (and usually readily available) plastic one, but you do have to be somewhat careful with those. Dragging the boat up a rocky shore with the boat leaning to the left will damage or break the bailer. The part number is LP91026 ($46)
The older metal ones show up from time to time in the For Sale section on this Forum, or elsewhere.
I think that I have a used (plastic) one in my collection of spare parts...

Last edited:
Plastic, you don't have to worry about it freezing up. I just got one from The Dinghy Shop, nice and shiny new.

I can sell you a nice used Sunfish plastic bailer assembly for $30 + $7 flat rate shipping. This is about $15 off new. Contact me at [email protected] if you are interested or want to see a photo.

Alan Glos
Cazenovia, NY

Back